Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dry bag with top case  (Read 406 times)

Offline Youngknight

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: central Ontario
Dry bag with top case
« on: January 30, 2020, 03:35:25 AM »
Hey folks,
I have a fairly large kappa...similar to givi...hard top case. Plan to go on a 3 or 4 day trip and need more storage.  There are several dry bags...not side bags..like kappa swtech Nelson rig and others. All get good reviews and Im looking around 40 litres. Plan would be to sit sideways between top case and my back (never a pillon).  Should that fit...anybody done this...lots of bags on top of bags, side bags with top cases but havent seen dry bag with top case.  Any recommendations for best tie down ability in that position?

Offline Wedgetail

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Gympie
Re: Dry bag with top case
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 04:43:51 AM »
I don't know if you'll find them in Canada but I use these in the two smaller sizes....strong vinyl, rugged U shaped zip opening (with a flap over it), handy tie down points which allow access to contents without removing bag, I've never had any water ingress. And a fraction of the price of motorbike specific stuff.   

https://www.anacondastores.com/camping-hiking/packs-bags/duffle-bags/denali-expedition-ii-duffle-bag/BP90079284

Offline Youngknight

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: central Ontario
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 05:51:09 PM »
Thanks Wedgetail. Those look great but do they come with tie down straps...I know they come with compression straps but I don't see tie down straps, something the motorcycle specific bags tend to supply.

My main focus of my question of these types of bags is: can they be effectively positioned in front of a rigid fairly large topbox.  i.e. Topbox is at the back of the bike, a bag that would essentially then sit crossways on the back part of the seat immediately in front of the topbox...is it possible to secure the bag to obviously something or somehow underneath at that point.  Many posts and all advertising videos and photos show these sorts of bags by themselves, generally riding on the rear rack...never with an existing rigid topbox.

Offline Wedgetail

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Gympie
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 06:43:21 PM »
Yes, it's common practice to mount a drybag of some type in the manner you have described.

Whether it will fit comes down to specifics, but simple to work out...measure the distance between the start of the pillion section of the seat and the topbox, then ensure that the bag you choose is smaller in width or diameter than that measurement, being satisfied that it leaves sufficient room for seated rider.
With packed bag in place on the seat and against the topbox, a strap of some sort on either side, encircling the bag while going around the grab rail (or if that's removed, the Givi or Kappa rack rail that replaces it). Any motorbike shop, or big hardware or auto supply place will have a myriad of suitable straps. You may care to protect plastic section behind seat and grab rails from rubbing by bag or straps.
Your mount/dismount procedure will probably need some adjustment to account for extra height of packed bike.
Any topbox on a CB500X is mounted a long way back. May not be a bad idea to put as much as practical of heavier stuff in your bag and lighter in the topbox to keep weight as far forward as practical.         

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 10:59:17 PM »
Check out Rok-Straps for strapping down soft luggage,best I have ever found and unlike regular bungees which tend to be round,these ar flat and with good hooks on the end.Revzilla and Amazon show available.
The bike is better balanced with some soft luggage on the seat and lets face it,you cannot really move around much on the seat with it being shaped the way it is.
Downside is that you wont be giving a passenger or a friend a lift and,most have to adjust the way the bike is mounted/dismounted and you wont be dismounting in a hurry..especially if you are say,off road and feel a standstill or very low speed 'hop off' is your best option.
The Roll top soft bag I feel is the best option...just for an example,check out Lomo products,they are in Glasgow,Scotland  but they have some videos online to explain about their bags which could be helpful.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 11:01:51 PM »
Hi Youngknight - to add to what Wedgetail is describing, I did exactly that with a dry duffle on my XT660Z for many thousands of miles (no top-box, but I did have a small tool bag on the tail-piece behind the seat.

The XT has a similar shaped pair of grab handles like the CB has, so all you need to do is loop a strap around the forward support of the grab handle, up over the bag, around the rear support of the grab handle, and then back over the bag to connect it. Do the same on both sides are you're done!

It's certainly a good idea to also thread the straps through the handles (or other lashing loops) on your dry bag, and in addition - if you're concerned about the bag potentially moving coming loose (for example if you are planning on riding rougher terrain), you can always loop the straps over the bag diagonally - forward left to rear right and vice versa - making it a very solid way to secure the bag.

note. the extra blue strap across the seat in the photo above is just the excess ends of the two straps which I tied together.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:02:45 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 11:35:11 PM »
Or...fit the Rally Raid side racks and have more strapping down options,I find using the grab handles allowed the bag to move around more but for sure would do as Jenny stated...put the straps through the bag handles,of course purchase a bag with two handles as opposed to one with just a shoulder strap...best is both.I found that a third strap across the front of the bag,across the front of the bag and across the straps and pulling the soft bag towards the top box really fixes things into place.Of course this does not work without a topbox.
Not filling the softbag to the maximum helps as the bag tends to 'straddle' the seat and sits a bit like Giant Loops offerings and stabilising the load...and slightly lowering the centre of gravity.

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 01:39:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Oyley [+]
Check out Rok-Straps for strapping down soft luggage,best I have ever found and unlike regular bungees which tend to be round,these ar flat and with good hooks on the end.

Rok-Straps are brilliant, every biker should have them  :152:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 04:11:56 PM »
I have an Oxford roll bag. It has thick Velcro straps that fit under the seat, then loads of loops to secure it to the bike as well. It works really well.

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 05:58:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Swanny [+]
Rok-Straps are brilliant, every biker should have them  :152:

+1 👍

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage