Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What kind of bike security do you use at a hotel?  (Read 1143 times)

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
Re: What kind of bike security do you use at a hotel?
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2020, 12:13:27 PM »
I know that everyplace is different, but here in the U.S., I think we often over worry about the bike theft thing when traveling. I typically spend 30 to 45 nights a year traveling on a motorcycle, most of the time in a motel. Usually it's a chain place, sometimes a Mom & Pop in a small town, but I would never consider using anything more robust than a steering lock (most of the time not even that) and a cover. If the motel is so seedy that I think I need a chain, disk, or other security - I'd go someplace else for the night.

I'm not criticizing those that go Defcon 4, just thinking that perhaps our love for our bikes often manifests itself into a vision that others want them too.  Mine may get stolen next week, but I doubt it. And if it does, well I guess that will suck....
Just damn happy to be here...

Online AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2020, 09:04:52 PM »
Bike theft is maybe a bigger issue in UK?  there are a LOT of bikes stolen here......
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline HarrySeaward

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2020, 03:45:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]

I know that everyplace is different, but here in the U.S., I think we often over worry about the bike theft thing when traveling.

If the motel is so seedy that I think I need a chain, disk, or other security - I'd go someplace else for the night.

I agree strongly with these sentiments. That said, if I do have to park overnight at a hotel, this disc lock is a really easy and cheap insurance policy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G9XDSRC/

For $23 USD, it makes the prospect of stealing my motorcycle much less convenient for any wannabe thieves.

Recent Topics