Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: To Bark or Not to Bark?  (Read 576 times)

Offline bobwombat

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Pine,Arizona USA
To Bark or Not to Bark?
« on: January 31, 2020, 09:37:20 PM »
Would appreciate the Forum's wise thoughts about BarkBusters....  Have been really conflicted about using them after a big WR250F dirt crash years ago; had the rear wheel spinning away at half stuck throttle just inches from my face. Ever since that crash I've favored wind/stone deflectors.

Only want to ride easy dirt & fire roads now but understand a crash can happen anywhere/anytime & BarkBusters can be great protection.  In summary, I'm afraid NOT to install Barkbusters but don't like them much.

Can anyone talk some proper sense into me?

Thx much, Bob
Bob from AZ/USA

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: To Bark or Not to Bark?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 11:58:22 PM »
Is it just the looks you don't like?

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 01:52:55 AM »
The same could happen with wind/stone deflectors. I fitted plastic Polisport guards (25) to my CRF but am going for BarkBusters on my CB when I get it.
I have some cheap knockoff BarkBusters (20) on my XR and they give me more confidence than the Polisport ever did
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline bobwombat

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 02:12:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
Is it just the looks you don't like?

Ewryly, it's not the looks of the Barks at all & perhaps not even mounting even more weight on the bike up high.  I've crashed hundreds of times on MX/dirt bikes & never had a stuck throttle or anything more than a broken brake or clutch lever until I sported Barkbusters.  I've always wondered if the impact managed to deform the end of the bars with the Bark insert.  Crazy or not, it made an impression.  Can you tell part of me wants the BarkBusters?

Btw, just installed my Rally Raid bash plate, Scorpion Slip-on & RR rear rack.  Without Barkbusters, I won't feel like I'm in proper CBX "uniform"!   :745:

Thx Ewryly & Swanny...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 02:15:18 AM by bobwombat »
Bob from AZ/USA

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 02:52:50 AM »
You just have to fall left.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 05:47:40 AM »
What exactly caused the Barkbusters to cause the throttle to remain open enough to keep revs on the throttle? Did the insert deform the bars to deform enough to bind up the throttle 'barrel' or did the Barkbuster frame bind up against the end of the throttle?
Also...Were the Barkbusters a universal kit or bike specific?
I currently have the CB500X specific kit on mine but try and leave some space between the throttle and the end of the bar by moving everything on the bar slightly inwards but I cant help thinking that the standard thin wall bars could deform in a spill with pressure from frame impact transferring to the inserts and possibly binding the throttle...hence my thoughts are to upgrade the bars to a thicker wall variant such as Renthal or Pro Taper and use narrow inserts to fit the reduced ID of the thick wall bars .

Online Perfictsib

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 03:21:07 PM »
im thinking similar to Oyley,
your twist grip and bark buster frame/backbone must of come into contact with one another, there is a decent size gap between the twistgrip and bark buster bar/backbone on the cb500x I recently had a spill on my cb500x which straightened the bend in the bark buster frame/backbone and twisted the inboard bracket its attached to. if it wasn't for the bark busters taking the impact I would of ended up with a broken brake lever, damaged twistgrip possible bent handle bars and damaged bodywork. the engine did not continue to run because of the tilt switch turning the pump off.
so im all for them and fitting new ones

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 06:55:50 PM »
for info. the Barkbusters insert/s have a short flange around it (approx 1/4" thick ) so that the end of the throttle grip should never be touching the backbone, even in the event of a fall.

If it is particularly close on a specific installation, you can either trim the end of the throttle tube/grip and/or move the whole throttle assembly inboard along the bars a short distance to increase that gap.

However, in my experiance - with the BarkBusters brand particularly - you've have to be really going some to bend the backbone sufficiently for it to start to jam on the throttle tube...

(thinking about it, is it possible the throttle assembly shifted on the bars during that particular fall Bob? - this is another reason why I always recommend people drill a new hole in any aftermarket bars and utilise the retaining pin in the right hand switchgear/throttle assembly to stop that moving under any circumstances)

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline bobwombat

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 05:07:29 PM »
Appreciate all the thoughts.  The bar end was slightly tweaked & bars replaced.  Who knows if the throttle would have stuck without the BarkBusters; all sorts of things happen in crashes.  I always ensure the throttle tube is inboard a bit.  As mentioned I really want to give them another try & want the protection but that experience left me hesitant.  Will probably give it a go...
Bob from AZ/USA

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 07:01:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
However, in my experiance - with the BarkBusters brand particularly - you've have to be really going some to bend the backbone sufficiently for it to start to jam on the throttle tube...
Jenny x

To echo JMo - BarkBusters seem to be near indestructible.  Ive got the RR short levers with mince but to be honest, I reckon theyd protect the OEM levers anyway - and trust me, Ive tried quite hard to break them!

Recent Topics