Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Satnav mount  (Read 774 times)

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Re: Satnav mount
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 03:21:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oyley [+]
Well...between companies mentioned a number of sizes are covered...so we have a choice.
A single company cannot cover all bases with a bespoke mount...I have used universal fit mounts such as Ram but even they have limitations and often require a third party company to provide something more bike or mount bar specific.It is,as in all cases all down to the economics of designing and manufacturing, in multiples of units and having them sat on the shelf waiting for orders which may or may not materialise.
As RR have for some time chosen to make available modifications/accessories for the CB500X  and more lately the T7,it makes perfect business sense to design/manufacture products for those bikes.
I know as a multiple bike owner that it can be frustrating at times....I log on to Nippyy Normans or Touratech and see some nice products but are they available for my CB500X or T7 ? NO.
So,where do I go from there? Rally Raid Products of course as they are known for providing products for the Bikes I own.
If the satnav mount was for a 14mm bar I would still have bought the product and used some tape to  increase the bar diameter...or if bar diameter was less than the 12mm...And there was enough 'meat' in the mount,I would have removed some of the metal to fit.
I'm old enough to remember that most 'additions' to my bikes had to be made ir modified...but nowadays I must admit,I would think like yourself and just want it it fit out of the box. :001:

It's a business decision as to whether a bigger mount diameter and including shims would make financial sense. It's not a big expense, but depends on production numbers. RAM do do this and it works.

Online Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 03:47:18 PM »
There is your answer then !!! Use a Ram as I have done, and still do.

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 03:50:08 PM »
There is your answer then !!! Use a Ram as I have done, and still do.

The ram brackets are great, but you're always left with the plastic arm that's unwieldy and untidy. I like the idea of the garmin bracket bolting flat onto the bar.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 04:49:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
Was it an optical illusion or did that RAM ball mount only fir on one side ?

RAM mounts use a series of different hole patterns, all based on the AMPS dimensions - for example their rectangular 'square' base uses four holes in the regular AMPS pattern (the same as a Garmin cradle for example), while the diamond base (as shown in the video) has two holes, which are spaced the same as the diagonal distance of the rectangular base.

Adam has designed the backing plate with a series of hole locations so you can fit a number of different mounts - in the video I presume he'd only used one screw to hold it in place as a quick illustration as one option - the idea being primarily of course you can attach a a GPS or phone cradle directly to the clamp, making for a more lower-profile installation.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 05:12:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
It's a great, well-priced mount. It's just a shame they haven't made it available in more standard sizes. They'd sell more, and bikers would have more choice.

For info. 12mm is the industry standard size for an accessory mounting bar in that location (ie. typically above the dash, behind the screen).

22mm is the diameter of a handlebar (the overall diameter of regular bars, and the control portion of fat-bar/tapered bars)  - and while I can appreciate you might want your phone located there (actually I can't, unless the space above the dash and above the triple clamps is already full of other devices), on most bikes there is very little space to mount a cradle directly to the handlebars, unless you use an arm and ball end like RAM do so you can space it out and adjust your viewing angle.

In that regard, if you look at the RAM catalogue, they offer a range of different length two-socket arms - short, standard and long - plus they also have a version that uses a flat base (secured by a low profile hexagon shape) and a since ball socket, if you do want a lower profile installation with only one plane of articulation of course.

In addition, you don't have to use their universal U bolt clamp around a 22mm tube at all if you don't want to, again RAM offer a range of ball mounts with tabs to bolt directly to mirror mounts, brake and clutch perch clamps in a range of different bolt sizes. They even do a simple ball with an M8 bolt that goes right through the middle - typically for replacing one of the handlebar riser clamp bolts if you want to mount a device more in the centre of the bars.

As an example, in the past I've used a mirror mount ball and the single-socket hex base with a iPod cradle in the past - yep, I still have an iPod!

edit: here, I took a photo:

photo. I use the RAM mirror mount threaded ball into a replacement clutch perch clamp with a mirror socket (you can get these in any bike shop or online), but RAM also have a ball which is on a L shaped tab with a hole in that you can secure using your existing mirror if you prefer.

Don't forget that the beauty of the RAM ball system is that is infinitely and quickly adjustable for viewing angles, and removal for security.

As I mentioned above, the purpose of the mounting plate that Rally-Raid have made is specifically to locate a GPS or Phone on the accessory bar above the dash, behind the screen.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

ps. for Hillweller, this is the AMPS pattern rectangular RAM base I mentioned above - in this instance I have it mounted in the centre of my handlebars as I like to have my GPS unit located there. You can bolt this base to the Rally-Raid clamp to if you wish, using two or all four screws as you prefer.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 05:27:40 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 10:59:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Some stuff

Thanks.

The bar above the dash on my X is 22mm. There are several after-market options available of this size and a lot of people use them.

I've used a lot of RAM stuff over the years, and currently use it for a GPS, my phone and a camera. There are some tidy mounts, but the arms inevitably make the setup clunky. They're not great in tight places or if you use more than one in close proximity, and if you want them locking they're more fiddly.

If RR did this particular mount for different size bars it would be heaven for me.

Offline Martin

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 10:06:01 AM »
Does anybody have a 12 mm bar on a 16-18 model? I had a look but can only find the 22 mm bars. I take it that the 19 has a 12 mm bar as standard? But if I recall that doesnt fit on earlier models.

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 10:12:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by Martin [+]
Does anybody have a 12 mm bar on a 16-18 model? I had a look but can only find the 22 mm bars. I take it that the 19 has a 12 mm bar as standard? But if I recall that doesnt fit on earlier models.

Palmer Products do an add-on bar for their screen adjuster in 1/2". All the other ones I've seen are 22mm.

Online Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2020, 10:19:07 AM »
I seem to think that SW Motech did a fairly neat 22mm mount that allows has a fairly universal flat plate to mount satnav bases onto....in fact,I think I may have a new unused one somewhere.

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2020, 10:26:15 AM »
I seem to think that SW Motech did a fairly neat 22mm mount that allows has a fairly universal flat plate to mount satnav bases onto....in fact,I think I may have a new unused one somewhere.

I'd be interested if you were thinking of selling...

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage