Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Seat Height Comparison: 2018 v. 2019  (Read 1885 times)

Online AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: Seat Height Comparison: 2018 v. 2019
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 08:50:47 PM »
If you are not going off road, why not look at a CB500F?  No lowering required, and add a screen if you want a bit of protection.... could be a lot easier!  :034:
The Story So Far.........
2017-2019: 12000mls recreational use - 89.73mpg UK; 74.72mpg US; 3.15litres/100km

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 08:53:04 PM »
Well..in my case,I already have one.

Offline VA-CB500X

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2020, 10:02:35 PM »
Thanks to all for the additional explanations and first-hand feedback.

Jenny, in the spec for the 2019+ CB500X, it lists ground clearance at 7.1 and suspension travel at 5.9 (front and rear).  If I understand your math correctly, you are saying this leaves only 1.2 of ground clearance when the suspension bottoms out, which is about equal to the ground clearance lost to the 30mm lowering.

However, I know on my current bike that suspension travel includes some range of travel ABOVE the static ground clearance.  In other words, bottomed out ground clearance does not = (spec ground clearance - suspension travel). 

Instead bottomed out ground clearance = (spec ground clearance - a fraction of the suspension travel).  Just guessing, but the exact fraction is probably around 4/5 or so of suspension travel.  This leaves a wider clearance margin for lowering.

Is this not also the case for the CB500X?

Offline Bat7

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Rochester NY
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 11:20:35 PM »
I considered lowering my X due to mobility issues resulting from a spinal fusion and fully torn rotator cuff. Instead, I experimented with lengthening my inseam by inserting heel lifts in my TCX road boots. That worked well enough that I bought a pair of Tourmaster cruiser boots with a thick sole and relatively tall heel which added about 2 inches to my inseam. Surprisingly, I did not even have to change the shift lever or rear brake lever. Something to consider as an alternative to reducing ground clearance.
Mick

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2020, 11:30:56 PM »
Daytona M-Star GTX can have a 25mm insole to allow short creatures like me with an injury more confidence...another route are loggers boots does not have an absolute requirement for a motorcycle specific boot...I used to wear Redwings for years..not the white crepe type sole variety.
They came up pretty high on the shin for protection.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2020, 12:49:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by VA-CB500X [+]
Thanks to all for the additional explanations and first-hand feedback.

Jenny, in the spec for the 2019+ CB500X, it lists ground clearance at 7.1 and suspension travel at 5.9 (front and rear).  If I understand your math correctly, you are saying this leaves only 1.2 of ground clearance when the suspension bottoms out, which is about equal to the ground clearance lost to the 30mm lowering.

However, I know on my current bike that suspension travel includes some range of travel ABOVE the static ground clearance.  In other words, bottomed out ground clearance does not = (spec ground clearance - suspension travel). 

Instead bottomed out ground clearance = (spec ground clearance - a fraction of the suspension travel).  Just guessing, but the exact fraction is probably around 4/5 or so of suspension travel.  This leaves a wider clearance margin for lowering.

Is this not also the case for the CB500X?

I really don't want to keep labouring the point here VA - but essentially the overall travel is a set number, and the ground clearance is a set number. It is true that a bike standing on its wheels (ie. the static sag) will compress the suspension a certain amount, but this will also reduce the ground clearance too.

Manufacturers tend to list their overall travel as the swept length of the damper rod (or shock body, together with the ratio provided by the mounting location on the swing-arm and linkage if fitted), and this does tend to not include the top-out spring in the forks or any bump stops and/or internal bump-stop such as a PDS cone in higher end forks and shocks - so yes, the actual physical travel is almost always a little less than advertised.

However, this fudging of the figures is also used to 'enhance' the other 'critical' dimensions (particularly on off-road and ADV style bikes, where apparently a few mm matter), so what you need to ascertain to make absolutely sure you will not bottom out the bike is how they measured the ground clearance - was it when the bike was standing on it's wheels (ie with the static sag taken into account) or was was it with the suspension unladen to 'maximise' that number too?

Ultimately though, as you surmise, the actual compression travel available is likely to be a little less that that which is advertised. note. I mentioned in my pps. above, the actual swept length of the 2019 damper rods is 141mm, not 150mm. - but equally, so is the actual ground clearance.

All I'm saying is be careful (and take some physical measurements) if you intend to lower your suspension significantly, and that personally speaking, I would look at changing/modifying your seat first, if only to maximise the benefit of having a longer travel softly spring bike in the first place - even if you don't plan to ride it over rough ground all that often.

Jenny x

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 12:51:00 AM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 02:23:15 AM »
Question for Jenny...I know its not a CB question but it is related.
I am assuming that with your connections with RR Products that they have done their research on the lowering of the T7 as they offer (and I have ordered) their recently introduced 40mm lowering links,whereas (and I have fitted) Yamaha only offer 20mm lowering links? I don't think I have seen RR Products offer lowering links for the CB500.
I promise not to labour this point ... :745:

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2020, 02:47:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Oyley [+]
Question for Jenny...I know its not a CB question but it is related.
I am assuming that with your connections with RR Products that they have done their research on the lowering of the T7 as they offer (and I have ordered) their recently introduced 40mm lowering links,whereas (and I have fitted) Yamaha only offer 20mm lowering links? I don't think I have seen RR Products offer lowering links for the CB500.
I promise not to labour this point ... :745:

Hi Oyley - as you may be aware (by my location/country flag) I'm now living in the US, so have not been involved directly with R&D in the same way as I have been for other bikes in the past, so am not intimately familiar with the Tenere 700 development John has been doing, other than we still chat regularly about what he's doing of course.

I can only presume if they are offering -40mm lowering links (along with their -20mm version) that there is sufficient room for them to be fitted, although I also notice they do suggest that the rear tyre may hit the underside of the fender in extreme circumstances...

As I suggested to VA' - ultimately I would consider any lowering links with caution... -20mm is an accepted amount (and for example can be achieved on the earlier model CB500Xs by flpiping and rotating the linkage plates) - but any more than that, particularly on an 'all-terrain' bike like this, I would always suggest you split any overall lowering by also cutting down/modifying your seat foam - it's cheap to do, and doesn't compromise the overall geometry and general dynamics of the bike in the same way.

Jenny x

« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 02:48:13 AM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2020, 03:02:14 AM »
Thanks Jenny..
I am ok with the seat height ,once I am on it,its more the getting on it with (as a lot of current bikes are) the raised rear seat area,combined with height of rear racks...I have to get on without any twist on my left knee and the higher the rear seat and rack,the more twist in the method of mounting/dismounting.I have the RR soft luggage here to fit and have not fitted yet as they do make it slightly more difficult to mount/dismount...and even worse if I fitted the small rear rack...but,planned for near future.

PS...how about some more ride videos with Juan Brown?

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2020, 03:18:54 AM »
PPS..I already have the Lust Racing 30mm links fitted on my 2019...fine for the road use I have done so far and there have been some pothole encounters over winter..I wont be using off road whilst knee in current (second operation done just before Christmas) condition.

Recent Topics