Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Seat Height Comparison: 2018 v. 2019  (Read 1883 times)

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Re: Seat Height Comparison: 2018 v. 2019
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2020, 03:45:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by Oyley [+]
Thanks Jenny..
I am ok with the seat height ,once I am on it,its more the getting on it with (as a lot of current bikes are) the raised rear seat area,combined with height of rear racks...I have to get on without any twist on my left knee and the higher the rear seat and rack,the more twist in the method of mounting/dismounting.I have the RR soft luggage here to fit and have not fitted yet as they do make it slightly more difficult to mount/dismount...and even worse if I fitted the small rear rack...but,planned for near future.

PS...how about some more ride videos with Juan Brown?

Yes, I know what you mean - I usually use the step-on-the-left-peg-and-twist method to get on my bike, particularly with luggage fitted, it's a trait with a lot of modern bikes these days to have a raked tail and stepped seat unfortunately...

As for videos, don't worry - Juan and I have already got some plans for this spring summer, and I hope it coincides with some new pre-production parts from Rally-Raid and something I'm working on personally too.

I'm also hoping we can encourage some informal meets & rides for CB500X owners -  either in conjunction with established events here in the US like Overland Expo and the Giant Loop Hot Springs weekend, plus the various Horizons Unlimited weekends too of course - see if we can't get a bit more a buzz going in the Out & About (Events, Meetings & Ride Outs) section of the forum too perhaps?

Note for UK owners, Rally-Raid will be at the London MCN motorcycle show next weekend, and also will have their demo bikes at the ABR Magazine Overland Event in the summer... plus I'm sure they will add to their calendar too as the year progresses.

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2020, 04:00:07 AM »
I have used that method using the left peg but currently cannot even go up or down a step using left leg..let alone on a footpeg ! which reminds me,I need to look at wider and longer serrated pegs to replace the very much road bike pegs on the CB...I see RR have some listed and also have a set of Fastway pegs that may adapt...plus some quite nice BMW HP pegs from a previous purchase.
Look forward to those videos...Thanks for your views as it was your vids that pointed me towards the CB and RR products,along with Juan's RR conversion vids and of course his Blancolirio  aviation channel.

Offline VA-CB500X

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2020, 11:15:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bat7 [+]
I considered lowering my X due to mobility issues resulting from a spinal fusion and fully torn rotator cuff. Instead, I experimented with lengthening my inseam by inserting heel lifts in my TCX road boots. That worked well enough that I bought a pair of Tourmaster cruiser boots with a thick sole and relatively tall heel which added about 2 inches to my inseam. Surprisingly, I did not even have to change the shift lever or rear brake lever. Something to consider as an alternative to reducing ground clearance.
Mick

Mick, thanks for this suggestion.  This is something I need to explore.  If I could get a little more reach with a different style boot, then that is that much less I would need to lower the CB500X.  A combination of the two approaches, and possibly a further seat adjustment, might get me into my comfort range without unduly compromising ground clearance.

Offline VA-CB500X

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2020, 11:22:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
I really don't want to keep labouring the point here VA - but essentially the overall travel is a set number, and the ground clearance is a set number. It is true that a bike standing on its wheels (ie. the static sag) will compress the suspension a certain amount, but this will also reduce the ground clearance too.

Manufacturers tend to list their overall travel as the swept length of the damper rod (or shock body, together with the ratio provided by the mounting location on the swing-arm and linkage if fitted), and this does tend to not include the top-out spring in the forks or any bump stops and/or internal bump-stop such as a PDS cone in higher end forks and shocks - so yes, the actual physical travel is almost always a little less than advertised.

However, this fudging of the figures is also used to 'enhance' the other 'critical' dimensions (particularly on off-road and ADV style bikes, where apparently a few mm matter), so what you need to ascertain to make absolutely sure you will not bottom out the bike is how they measured the ground clearance - was it when the bike was standing on it's wheels (ie with the static sag taken into account) or was was it with the suspension unladen to 'maximise' that number too?

Ultimately though, as you surmise, the actual compression travel available is likely to be a little less that that which is advertised. note. I mentioned in my pps. above, the actual swept length of the 2019 damper rods is 141mm, not 150mm. - but equally, so is the actual ground clearance.

All I'm saying is be careful (and take some physical measurements) if you intend to lower your suspension significantly, and that personally speaking, I would look at changing/modifying your seat first, if only to maximise the benefit of having a longer travel softly spring bike in the first place - even if you don't plan to ride it over rough ground all that often.

Jenny x

Jenny, thanks for the additional comments and explanations, all of which have been quite edifying.  I will try to keep all of these competing points in mind as I approach lowering the bike. 

But first I need to buy one!

Offline VA-CB500X

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2020, 01:26:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oyley [+]
Lust Rscing only list one kit for the 2019  (19" front wheel) model year and that is the 30mm lowering kit.
It's a simple fit but as I have a current knee injury...I had the dealer fit it as part of the deal...no way I can kneel right now....

Just as an FYI, I've come across (by reference on this forum) another company that offers lowering links for the CB500X in 5mm increments ranging from 20-55mm:

https://www.bikefarmmv.com/epages/79512538.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/79512538/Products/%22HTLRHO%20CB%20500%20XA%20PC64%2055%2019-%22

Offline Vacarider

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Vacaville
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2020, 12:01:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]

I'm also hoping we can encourage some informal meets & rides for CB500X owners -  either in conjunction with established events here in the US like Overland Expo and the Giant Loop Hot Springs weekend, plus the various Horizons Unlimited weekends too of course - see if we can't get a bit more a buzz going in the Out & About (Events, Meetings & Ride Outs) section of the forum too perhaps?

Jenny x

I am almost done with my Rally Raid build. Just the wheels left and Im hoping to join you on a meet. Very much hoping youre able to set them up and I dont miss the announcements!
Count me in if you need help organizing.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 12:02:23 AM by Vacarider »

Offline LadyOfTwoLands

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2020, 01:32:18 PM »
Hi, how tall are you or what is your inseam? I am a woman, 170 cm (5 7) tall, inseam between 29 and 30, and I cant flatfoot the cbx, mine is the 19. In my previous boots, I was on tippy toes. So I opted to by new boots with heals, I have two from TCX, one pair of ankle boots for summer (Street Ace lady) and a pair of urban boots (Blend lady these seem a bit lower). However, the pair that added the most height are the Daytona, because the sole is thicker at the toe part too and the heel adds 5-6 cm (2+). I have big feet so I could not get the Lady Star, I had to get the M-Star, the man version with heels, but they fit well and are roomy. I really like them, and the best thing for me was the calf adjustment I also have gigantic calves and cant find tall boots that fit. I still cant flat foot, but they do add a lot of security.

What works for me is strategy, I dont do off-road (its forbidden around here), so I always look where I stop to avoid holes, uneven surface or sand, look out for inclination of the road or puddles, etc. I either lower both feet and I feel secure on the balls of my feet, or the left foot that I can flat foot ant the right foot is on the rear break or just dangling.

Yes, sometimes I do think that I should have gotten a lower bike, but then I would also be giving up the comfort and suspension travel. But most of the time I am fine, and I have never had a moment of insecurity, the cbx seems well balanced. Also, I have never been sure if I could save a tip over anyway, Ive dropped the riding school bike and it was a tiny ancient Honda 250 which I could flatfoot and more.  :034:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 01:34:54 PM by LadyOfTwoLands »

Offline VA-CB500X

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2020, 04:50:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by LadyOfTwoLands [+]
Hi, how tall are you or what is your inseam? I am a woman, 170 cm (5 7) tall, inseam between 29 and 30, and I cant flatfoot the cbx, mine is the 19. In my previous boots, I was on tippy toes. So I opted to by new boots with heals, I have two from TCX, one pair of ankle boots for summer (Street Ace lady) and a pair of urban boots (Blend lady these seem a bit lower). However, the pair that added the most height are the Daytona, because the sole is thicker at the toe part too and the heel adds 5-6 cm (2+). I have big feet so I could not get the Lady Star, I had to get the M-Star, the man version with heels, but they fit well and are roomy. I really like them, and the best thing for me was the calf adjustment I also have gigantic calves and cant find tall boots that fit. I still cant flat foot, but they do add a lot of security.

What works for me is strategy, I dont do off-road (its forbidden around here), so I always look where I stop to avoid holes, uneven surface or sand, look out for inclination of the road or puddles, etc. I either lower both feet and I feel secure on the balls of my feet, or the left foot that I can flat foot ant the right foot is on the rear break or just dangling.

Yes, sometimes I do think that I should have gotten a lower bike, but then I would also be giving up the comfort and suspension travel. But most of the time I am fine, and I have never had a moment of insecurity, the cbx seems well balanced. Also, I have never been sure if I could save a tip over anyway, Ive dropped the riding school bike and it was a tiny ancient Honda 250 which I could flatfoot and more.  :034:

Hi, I am a bit taller than you but you have longer legs than me.  My inseam is only 28.

I will definitely need to lower this bike, the only question is how much.  You might consider doing the same, especially since you have no off-roading plans. 

Thanks for the suggestion for boots - - I do plan to look into something that offers a bit more sole thickness.  Having the specific model name of a mens boot that fits this description is very helpful.  Thanks!

Offline adman

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB 500X PC64
  • City / Town: Made in Solingen
A straight line is only the shortest connection between two curves ...

Offline VA-CB500X

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2020, 10:33:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by VA-CB500X [+]
Just as an FYI, I've come across (by reference on this forum) another company that offers lowering links for the CB500X in 5mm increments ranging from 20-55mm:

https://www.bikefarmmv.com/epages/79512538.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/79512538/Products/%22HTLRHO%20CB%20500%20XA%20PC64%2055%2019-%22

As a further FYI, I've also come across this company that sells an infinitely adjustable lowering link (0-4") for the 2019+ CB500X, along with an adjustable sidestand:

https://soupysperformance.com/honda/cb500x.html

So that's another option to consider.

Recent Topics