Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Seat Height Comparison: 2018 v. 2019  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
Re: Seat Height Comparison: 2018 v. 2019
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2020, 10:31:50 PM »
Well,the semi skimmed green top milk I was drinking today must be making me see double ...either that or someone has removed a single link and replaced mine with a double dog bone setup,how good is that eh 
I'm also not convinced that an almost 200bhp Hayabusa (and that is if it is in standard tune) a 1000cc class bike,and fitted with a 600cc swinging arm,and knowing it was not the correct geometry,plus playing around with shims.....is that really a fair comparison with  a 471cc 47 bhp with its standard swinging arm and no unknown shims ?
Its like..Ill try the brushless motors from my Spreadwings 800 on my DJI Phantom 4 Pro,but I don't like the arms so Ill swap them out for those from a drone some 40% smaller,and whilst I am at it,the mounts are different so I'll just mess about with some shims,oh,they look a bit iffy but who cares? And,why not strap my wee kitten on and just fly it across that valley...yeah,why not,great idea....NOT.
Someone is still not getting what I am saying here and that is I am NOT PROMOTING ANY OF THE LINKS IN QUESTION....
 please attempt to read my point..and that is I don't see why a suitable adjustable link cannot be designed and manufactured  to serve the purpose of being an adjustable lowering link .Timur,you could just be that person !!!
But I still need convincing you can read and respond to comments about the areas in a suspension system the suspension system that have been mentioned that have a lot to do with absorbing shock loads.
No mention of the fixing bolts for the existing dog bones (two) and their size and shear loads..are shear loads so much less than the threaded rods in compression? have you ever screwed in say a 10mm bolt with say a 1.25 pitch thread into say a depth of 50mm...then a locknut...just how much slack do you feel that is going to create this friction load? These turnbuckle devices are used in may applications that have far higher loads than this wee bike in normal use is going to generate.
The main load is in compression...even a 10mm stainless lifting eye can hold its own up to 1700kg before breaking...but again...the main load is in compression.
Point in question,the video that was sent to me where dual links were being fitted were on a Honda but an NC750x I think...
I still have dual dog bones on my bike...just took another look and they are both there.
Please absorb my words that I am not promoting or advocating the use of any of these products on offer...that fact does seem to go right above someones head....

Apparently,theoretically,we are told that bees cannot fly...

Offline bluepillow

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2020, 09:10:00 AM »
from reading this entire thread, i take it that Lust Racing's Lowering Links are strong and long lasting?

i've uploaded a picture of the original links on the 2020 cb500x (there has been no changes to the bike since 2019, so should i say 2019 instead?)

Online VA-CB500X

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2020, 12:25:42 PM »
Thanks for that photo.  Its helpful to have a visual.

The Lust links seem to have a good reputation.  But they only come in one size (30mm).

I would call it what it is.  If its a 2020 then thats what it is (you can confirm its a 2020 by checking the tenth digit of the VIN, which would be an L for 2020, K for 2019.)  But another way to refer to the new version more generically is 2019+.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2020, 12:39:53 PM »
Well..Lust link has been on for only several hundred miles and it seem to be ok..I would be maybe 17 stone with all riding gear and tank bag on.The roads around here for maybe  half those miles can be a bit bumpy.I have not been off road at all but hit a huge pothole that almost bucked me off the bike and it felt quite severe but the rear tyre did not make contact underneath anywhere.
Mine is 19My and stock suspension...only the Lust 30mm lower link in that department.
I think they are overpriced when you look at what RR charge for the T7 lowering links...actually,I should compare those with the stock Honda links...they are all much the same in thickness and it's just the lengths and hole sizes and centres that differ...also got some stock T7  links to compare.

Offline bluepillow

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2020, 01:27:22 PM »
the price for rally raid's is 32.65 GBP shipped to my location.
for lust's links it's 74.90 GBP shipped.

That's a pretty big difference in price.

But i'm leaning more towards lust's 3cm drop rather than rally raid's 2cm since i'm rather short and i need to tip-toe with the bike upright. Do you guys think it's worth double the price for that extra 1cm?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 01:47:54 PM by bluepillow »

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2020, 01:42:37 PM »
Depends on your inseam...my legs seem to have shrunk over the years ! I think I am 28 to 28.5 inches inseam now and have the 30mm drop but if I were starting from scratch...I would have just gone with the 20mm drop and saved a few quid....
Maybe the soles on my Sidi boots help a little ...and if one uses road style boots than 10mm maybe noticable...
I am also used to most of my bikes being pretty tall...but my wee legs are definitely shrinking.
My KTM 640 Adventurer ha a stupid high (for me) 945mm (37.2) seat, ok, a lot more sag but I still had to get myself on and off of it.
It does help that I believe the CB to be a well balanced bike whereas the KTM had 28 litres of fuel up high also so there is another several kg in the wrong place for comfort and confidence balance.

Offline bluepillow

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2020, 01:57:22 PM »
I checked Rally Raid's website and they said they can do one off custom parts. Just sent an email through their site and am waiting for a reply.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2020, 02:11:05 PM »
 That will either be a pleasant surprise..or a shock !

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2020, 03:41:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by bluepillow [+]
I checked Rally Raid's website and they said they can do one off custom parts. Just sent an email through their site and am waiting for a reply.

To clarify - production parts specifcations are set, tested and approved. You cant just say I want a bit more off here like its a haircut.

Their custom facilities are for [custom] bike builders who want specific high-end maching done, like their recent Triumph Bobber hubs and triple clamps for flat-track bikes... that is one off designs (ie. not production/catalogue parts), buy typically still short run of a numbrr of units... A single item would be financially unrealistic for most people.

As for this ongoing lowering link conversation - 10mm is the thickness of your finger. If you are really worried about so little difference, wind your preload back 1 turn/a couple of clicks and youll achive the same effect.

Jenny x
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 03:43:02 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2020, 06:45:54 PM »
That will be where the shock element I mentioned comes into play.
If the 10 mm matters, just get the Lust 30mm versions.
If it's not that critical, get some cheaper but reputable 20mm ones....no custom links from a manufacturer are going to be cheaper.
What price that is confidence is worth is entirely personal.

Recent Topics