Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tinkering in the garage - Light bar  (Read 191 times)

Online rambrose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: YBR125 & CB500X
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Tinkering in the garage - Light bar
« on: February 08, 2020, 07:08:52 PM »
Making a light bar from a carbon fibre tube and some aluminium.

Had previously fitted the wiring, relay and switch

Not sure on the tube length. It sticks out just past the end of the indicators. I can move the lights inboard a bit.
Could perhaps mount the lights below the bar and chop the excess.
2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extenders. Rear Honda hugger. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. Bar riser. GPS bar. Zumo660. Mirror extenders. Clip on screen deflector. RR foot pegs. Rotopax fuel can. Rr led light repeaters. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
Re: Tinkering in the garage - Light bar
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 07:53:25 PM »
Nice.....I'm lazy and awaiting the SWMotech one for the 19my...its on German website but not listed in UK yet,the 18my is though.
A tip for tube mounts that I have used in the past for lightweight stuff such as led lights,satnav mounts and yes even handguard mount are....and they will be the cheapest mounts ever are...SWA (steel wired armoured cleats) you can even heat up stainless nuts and use the bolt,allen or hex,to pull the heated nut into the cleat so as to make the nut 'captive'
I have even used this method to mount peli boxes to tubular rear racks (captive nut method) and used nuts or knurled stainless knobs on the inside of the peli box for security,you cannot undo the captive nuts on the outside and can padlock the peli case.
They are neat and really strong..and all black ! they work very well on any tubular racks,I have plans for extra fuel containers mounted to engine bars and..tool tube mounts to the inside of luggage racks....better than those rubber covered metal ones for sure and available in a selection of sizes and will pull in a few mm if oversized.The most useable ones on a bike accept 6mm dia bolts,so a good strong mount.
And..over herein UK,Screwfix sell a pack of 25 over the counter for 2.79 ! part no CC7 and the internal diameter is 17.8mm so they pinch up nicely on what seems to be a fairly standard 18mm tube often used for rack frames...its a no brainer really.
Sorry if I hijacked your thread a bit here but its mount related and just crossed my mind when I saw the post on tube mount.

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 08:06:44 PM »
Nice work  :062:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Online rambrose

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: YBR125 & CB500X
  • City / Town: Plymouth
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 06:42:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oyley [+]
Nice.....I'm lazy and awaiting the SWMotech one for the 19my...its on German website but not listed in UK yet,the 18my is though.

Didn't realise there's a difference to the fairing subframe so looked it up. 2016-2018 uses 64221MJWJ80, 2019 uses 64221MKPJ80.
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/64221MJWJ80
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2019/cb500x/upper-cover-windscreen
Price difference is obscene.

*Originally Posted by Oyley [+]
A tip for tube mounts that I have used in the past for lightweight stuff such as led lights,satnav mounts and yes even handguard mount are....and they will be the cheapest mounts ever are...SWA (steel wired armoured cleats) you can even heat up stainless nuts and use the bolt,allen or hex,to pull the heated nut into the cleat so as to make the nut 'captive'
I have even used this method to mount peli boxes to tubular rear racks (captive nut method) and used nuts or knurled stainless knobs on the inside of the peli box for security,you cannot undo the captive nuts on the outside and can padlock the peli case.
They are neat and really strong..and all black ! they work very well on any tubular racks,I have plans for extra fuel containers mounted to engine bars and..tool tube mounts to the inside of luggage racks....better than those rubber covered metal ones for sure and available in a selection of sizes and will pull in a few mm if oversized.The most useable ones on a bike accept 6mm dia bolts,so a good strong mount.
And..over herein UK,Screwfix sell a pack of 25 over the counter for 2.79 ! part no CC7 and the internal diameter is 17.8mm so they pinch up nicely on what seems to be a fairly standard 18mm tube often used for rack frames...its a no brainer really.
Sorry if I hijacked your thread a bit here but its mount related and just crossed my mind when I saw the post on tube mount.

Good tip. I already had the p-clips lurking around. Plus the tube is 22mm
2017 CB500x ABS. RR Lvl1 forks. Fender extenders. Rear Honda hugger. Honda centre stand. Oxford advanced pro touring heated grips. Barkbuster VPS guards. Bar riser. GPS bar. Zumo660. Mirror extenders. Clip on screen deflector. RR foot pegs. Rotopax fuel can. Rr led light repeaters. Givi Trekker 46Ltr top box, 33ltr panniers

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage