Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cb500x Upgrade  (Read 608 times)

Offline dudu

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
Cb500x Upgrade
« on: February 11, 2020, 08:53:39 AM »
Hi all!

Loving this community and has been a great source for me throughout my ownership of a 2017 CB500x! I'm currently in the market to upgrade bikes- it's either going to be the Tenere 700 and a 2016-2019 Africa Twin. Has anyone here had any experiences with with either of those bikes? I read an excellent post from this forum where a guy rode an africa twin and compared it to his cb. I would love a post from anyone whos had experiences with those bikes in comparison to each other (T700 and Africa twin), as well as the cb500x, or just any impressions if you have experience with them.

A bit about me- I rode dirt bikes in my teenage years but stopped riding in my 20s, and bought a cb500x in my 30s to get back into things. I use my bike to commute (80km each day) and also to travel outside of the city on longer trips, and miss going out on dirt roads (my cb is fitted with street tyres and it was a shock to take it on a gravel road since the cb500 was my first bike with road tyres).

While Ive read all about Rally raid products and Im sure they are great, it is not feasible to get them where I live- and there are things I wanted to change on my CB but I couldnt. These are things like:

-Low ground clearance (6 vs 9 inches on the bigger bikes)
-17 inch front (seems like I need to get more suspension work done if I ever try to get a 19 inch front).
-Mild engine (great for me when I was just getting back into things), but doesnt have the acceleration of bikes I rode in my youth like an xr400r or a crm250 (for those of you that know, yeah these bikes are super old but quick)
-Engine is a stressed member so riding at high speeds with bad roads isnt ideal.

With that in mind, Im looking to sell my cb for either a t700 or an africa twin to mitigate those things. One last thing is that downtown in my city (the last 15 mins of my commute) can get very congested (and I mean congested Asian style, not congested like in a western country- I live in Bangkok) which makes me shy away from the Africa Twin. Does anyone have an impressions about either bike that would be helpful to know? What sort of things should i keep in mind before I pull the trigger? I would love any inputs from this community!

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
Re: Cb500x Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 09:02:04 AM »
I'm in the same situation now - wants some bigger bike. I use my bike for everyday commuting and travels so need an allrounder. Tested Tenere 700 few days ago and probably will buy it when save some money. You can see my impressions here:

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,9218.70.html

Regards,

Timur

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 09:03:05 AM »
Have a look at these two videos

Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline dudu

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 09:33:23 AM »
Hi Swanny,

Thanks for linking linking the videos, I've gone over those exact videos over and over again haha!

Offline dudu

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 09:35:42 AM »
Hi @Timur,

thanks for linking your impressions that's super helpful! I wanted to ask, does it feel as manageable in low speed as the cb500x? The cb is soo nice when im stuck in traffic because the seat is so low and it's not that heavy.. We don't get the tenere until later this year so I haven't been able to test ride it but what do you think? Also, what would you say is the highest max cruising speed is on the t700? On my cb i feel like i can go 120 km/h all day but any higher i'm stressing the engine!

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 11:01:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by dudu [+]
Hi @Timur,

thanks for linking your impressions that's super helpful! I wanted to ask, does it feel as manageable in low speed as the cb500x? The cb is soo nice when im stuck in traffic because the seat is so low and it's not that heavy.. We don't get the tenere until later this year so I haven't been able to test ride it but what do you think? Also, what would you say is the highest max cruising speed is on the t700? On my cb i feel like i can go 120 km/h all day but any higher i'm stressing the engine!
Well - I found it more manageable at low speeds than CB500X - it has very precise steering so you can crawl at 5-7km/h without need to use feets. And it's very slim bike so it filters betweeen cars very well. High handlebar helps a lot - it passes over car mirrors in traffic jams.

However it has longer wheelbase so when the jam is really bad CB500X is better suited for motogymkana style driving IMO.

Another thing that liked a lot in city - low and middle range torque. Helps when you wants accelerate suddenly without need to downshift. Found it very relaxing in dense traffic - saves a lot of work with gearbox.

The weight is not an issue - high hanldebar makes very easy to move the bike. I'm far to be a Hulk Hogan and even so felt very comfortable. With my 76cm inseam I reach the ground with tiptoe though.

On highway the engine feels relaxed but I couldn't tested it properly in this situation - had only 1 hour to ride it. However at 120km/h it was all peace and quiet except for wind noise. When I returned back to my CBX it felts bit buzzy after Tenere engine.

I think Tenere 700 it's a bike I was waiting for. Great for commuting, traveling, weekend escapes, offroad. In fact I hate dirt but if I buy it will return to the dirt for sure  :001:

Offline dudu

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 11:20:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by timur [+]
Well - I found it more manageable at low speeds than CB500X - it has very precise steering so you can crawl at 5-7km/h without need to use feets. And it's very slim bike so it filters betweeen cars very well. High handlebar helps a lot - it passes over car mirrors in traffic jams.

However it has longer wheelbase so when the jam is really bad CB500X is better suited for motogymkana style driving IMO.

Another thing that liked a lot in city - low and middle range torque. Helps when you wants accelerate suddenly without need to downshift. Found it very relaxing in dense traffic - saves a lot of work with gearbox.

The weight is not an issue - high hanldebar makes very easy to move the bike. I'm far to be a Hulk Hogan and even so felt very comfortable. With my 76cm inseam I reach the ground with tiptoe though.

On highway the engine feels relaxed but I couldn't tested it properly in this situation - had only 1 hour to ride it. However at 120km/h it was all peace and quiet except for wind noise. When I returned back to my CBX it felts bit buzzy after Tenere engine.

I think Tenere 700 it's a bike I was waiting for. Great for commuting, traveling, weekend escapes, offroad. In fact I hate dirt but if I buy it will return to the dirt for sure  :001:

Thanks a lot man that really helps! The only thing is that seat looks thin and the wheelbase is longer (harder for gymkana around traffic jams in asia) but I hope i adjust! I can't help but think I will feel the same as you when I get my hands on one. Thanks again!

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 11:30:07 AM »
You're welcome  :001:

Online VA-CB500X

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 01:52:31 PM »
I recently had an opportunity to inspect an Africa Twin closely.  That is a large, unwieldy bike.  Probably a great ride on the highway, but I would not want to use it as a commuter or take it into an urban environment (and my frame of reference is a western urban environment, which I know is nothing like yours.)

Have you considered a 2019 or 2020 CB500X?  In 2019 the model was upgraded quite a bit, with the larger 19 wheel/tire you are looking for, plus a bit more torque in the mid-range, a very nice slipper clutch, more suspension travel, a new dash/screen, geometry tweaks/improvements, etc etc.  It might be worth trying one out.  The CB500X seems like it would be the best choice by far for your commuting environment.

Offline dudu

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 03:20:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by VA-CB500X [+]
I recently had an opportunity to inspect an Africa Twin closely.  That is a large, unwieldy bike.  Probably a great ride on the highway, but I would not want to use it as a commuter or take it into an urban environment (and my frame of reference is a western urban environment, which I know is nothing like yours.)

Have you considered a 2019 or 2020 CB500X?  In 2019 the model was upgraded quite a bit, with the larger 19 wheel/tire you are looking for, plus a bit more torque in the mid-range, a very nice slipper clutch, more suspension travel, a new dash/screen, geometry tweaks/improvements, etc etc.  It might be worth trying one out.  The CB500X seems like it would be the best choice by far for your commuting environment.

Thank you man! Yeah it was one I considered before but I really miss the ground clearance of a dirtbike (sometimes I ride up sidewalks- yeah not good I know i know..) and it's like half an inch taller than my cb..

Thanks for your input though, I also just realized that the tenere has fairly high compression- not concerned about the longevity of the engine- it seems like all everyone can do is sing praises about this bike's engine, but I am more concerned if I get stranded somewhere I can't get 95 fuel... the cb and africa twin don't have this problem!

Looks like I might have to skip out on the t700 and africa twin afterall! The africa twin 850 is on the roadmap for next year though...

Recent Topics