Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: We Hates Him  (Read 1891 times)

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: We Hates Him
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2020, 12:52:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
That's not what the evidence says. It's a biased view grown out of our culture that says that the car is king and our unconscious acceptance of it as truth. How dare that guy on the motorbike overtake without my permission! Yes, I know it doesn't affect me at all but he's beneath me! He shouldn't be allowed to pass me on that poxy toy! Do you know how much this truck means to my ego? It's my kingdom on wheels! Mine!! I laugh at you lying in the road injured when I pass you later on! That'll teach you! And that pedestrian?? No, he shan't cross until I allow him. Who does he think he is? My road. Mine. Mine. Mine.

The evolution of road use is at different stages across the world, and I live in hope that the UK is following in the heels of mainland Europe rather than the USA (jaywalking anyone?). I once overtook a guy on a motorbike for the third time while cycling home from work. He pulled up his visor and remarked that he should get a bike. Perish the thought that more people could be happy for others rather than envious.

I'm not frothy about this. I just believe in challenging unconscious beliefs. If only we could allow ourselves to do it more we'd get along much better.

I agree that cyclists have as much right to the road as do motor vehicles, but it is very hard to find reliable stats on bicycle-car accidents. In the States bicyclist often ride as if the rules do not apply to them, and this gets them in trouble and fuels drivers belief that they don't belong on the road. It's a shame because cycling is efficient and healthy and clean.

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2020, 06:48:41 AM »
That's not what the evidence says. It's a biased view grown out of our culture that says that the car is king and our unconscious acceptance of it as truth. How dare that guy on the motorbike overtake without my permission! Yes, I know it doesn't affect me at all but he's beneath me! He shouldn't be allowed to pass me on that poxy toy! Do you know how much this truck means to my ego? It's my kingdom on wheels! Mine!! I laugh at you lying in the road injured when I pass you later on! That'll teach you! And that pedestrian?? No, he shan't cross until I allow him. Who does he think he is? My road. Mine. Mine. Mine.
:047: Could't explained better.

IMO a lot of car drivers considers their car as a prolongation of their dicks. Consequently they feel that little bikes questions their manhood. I bet that happens with the hero on a video - he felt humiliated by a guy on a bike.

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X & CB1300
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2020, 08:32:50 AM »
As we're talking cyclists can someone explain to me why they ride on the road and not the cycle path that was specially built for them?  :112:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline johnthebigadv

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Altrincham
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2020, 12:39:54 PM »
Cycle lanes are death traps where I live, I got knocked off my push bike whilst in a cycle lane and ended up with a fractured jaw. There full of sunken grids, potholes and parked cars. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 12:43:30 PM by johnthebigadv »

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2020, 01:38:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Swanny [+]
As we're talking cyclists can someone explain to me why they ride on the road and not the cycle path that was specially built for them?  :112:

There are lots of reasons, though here are a couple that apply in the States:  They tend to be designed as if they were just for bicyclists.  The specs for "multi-modal" facilities requires a much wider path than most places are willing to fund.  But the reality is that these bicycle paths have runners, skaters, walkers, and people pushing baby carriages all of whom are wearing headphones; they create new intersections everytime they intersect an existing road, and those intersections tend to be poorly regulated; and they are rarely cleaned so they have all sorts of debris on them.  For recreational use, I think they are acceptable, but if we are talking transportation and commuting they are not.  A serious cyclist can easily manage 20+ mph, and on those paths that would be suicide.

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2020, 01:51:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by johnthebigadv [+]
Cycle lanes are death traps where I live, I got knocked off my push bike whilst in a cycle lane and ended up with a fractured jaw. There full of sunken grids, potholes and parked cars.

And if you leave the lane for one of these reason or because you need to make a left-hand turn (here in the States!) and you get in an accident, you will need to prove you should not have been in the lane.  They also put you farther to the side of the road than you should be riding which actually puts you in danger of getting hit by turning traffic and by traffic pulling in and out of driveways.  Governments like lanes because it gives them something to show for the money they spent, so when we had to accept lanes we would try to insist that on-street parking was prohibited. 

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2020, 02:22:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Swanny [+]

If I'm better off on a cycle path, I'll ride on the cycle path. If I'm better off on the road, I'll ride on the road.

I mostly ride on the road.

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2020, 02:36:08 PM »
If I'm better off on a cycle path, I'll ride on the cycle path. If I'm better off on the road, I'll ride on the road.

I mostly ride on the road.

That is the way to do it:  know the risks and make good decisions, but in some places we have mandatory sidepath laws that require you to be on a path or in a designated lane if it exists.  That is a problem.

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X & CB1300
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2020, 07:58:52 PM »
The Australians do it best    :745:

Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline foamy

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500x
  • City / Town: Eastern Shore
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2020, 09:20:54 PM »
I don't know. I'd hesitate to filter around here on the East Coast. Some drivers are just plum crazy and if they saw you coming on a motorcycle, they may be inclined to pull into your path or open their door on you or some such crazy move. I don't trust 'em for all the reasons cited above.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 09:21:26 PM by foamy »
Greetings from the land of Pleasant Living!

Recent Topics