Author Topic: fairing grip pads  (Read 589 times)

Offline motoryzen

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
fairing grip pads
on: February 14, 2020, 10:52:26 PM
I'm completely new to tank or fairing panel grip pads.  I've noticed every since I got my 2019 CB500x ( 5 foot 9 with 32" leg insteam BTW) that where my knees would normally make contact with the body of the bike, that silver panel piece is VERY slick and thus makes it hard to grip the bike with my knees as an experienced rider would normally do. 

Yes I realize this isn't technically a sport bike, but I commute to and from work daily on the interstate highway and just would like more proper grip piece of mind while riding.

Your thoughts, recommendations, things to stay away from are all welcome.   Is this something I could just grab a pair of those Walmart step grips  and cut to size and call it it a day?  Or must I buy some tank grip pads and cut to size as needed. 

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
Re: fairing grip pads
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 11:29:05 PM

I used Techspec Snakeskin.    It comes in rectangular pads which I cut down to get the shape I needed to fit the bike.   The position of these help when standing.

Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Offline motoryzen

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 11:46:15 PM
Thanks for the info.  I googled what you said and found this https://techspec-usa.com/honda-cb500r-2019-curent-snake-skin-tank-grips.html

But daamn.....80 bucks plus shipping seems high to me and all I need are just the smaller pieces for the silver plastic panel part..not the actual tank grips as my legs aren't long enough for my knees to even touch the tank  xD

(yoda accent)  "hmmmm..... :084: Much to think about ....I have."

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 09:47:15 AM

I bought from a supplier in the UK on eBay,  but yes, very expensive and you have to shape them yourself.  I put layers of masking tape on the bike where I wanted the new panels and slowly built the layers until I had a template, it was then so thick I could peel the template off easily in one piece.

But, the material is very high quality it has a nice combination of firmness and grip.  The adhesive has held up in temperature extremes experienced on my trips to Helsinki and the Sahara and through sleet and snow and also Hurricane Lorenzo in Ireland (I should have stayed indoors, but was chasing a ferry). 

Best still the pattern is almost identical to that Dimond patten on the fairing.   
Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Offline motoryzen

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 04:21:35 PM
 :028:  Thanks. That's good to know.  I don't have a problem paying good money for something actually built to last, especially these days when damn nearly everything in existence is often after-thought-made junk but sold at least for 75% of the quality built-version's pricing.  Cheers.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 04:56:42 PM
Has the X model the same tank shape as the R model? I don't see an X specific model listed