Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: FRENCH BIKE LAWS  (Read 971 times)

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X & CB1300
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
Re: FRENCH BIKE LAWS
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 08:45:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
Oh Swanny, what have you done...... :745:

If it's any consolation, I don't wear Hi-Viz stuff either!!  :007:

I didn't realise it was such a touchy subject  :745:
I'm not allowed to say it but will I have the thought police after me if I think it?  :121:

I'm glad the EU didn't get its way and make us all wear it, that was their plan a few years ago  :151:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline UKJeeper

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 10:12:59 AM »
Thank god no one has brought up 'Polite' vests yet, or things would really kick off!

:164:

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 12:01:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Swanny [+]
I didn't realise it was such a touchy subject  :745:
I'm not allowed to say it but will I have the thought police after me if I think it?  :121:

I'm glad the EU didn't get its way and make us all wear it, that was their plan a few years ago  :151:

We had a similar discussion about bicycle helmets a little while ago, and the form of the argument goes something like: 

1) Start with the not unreasonable belief that I don't want the government to make me wear x (helmet, Hi-Viz, etc).
2) Plausibly enhance this claim with the claim that making people wear x will actually limit the number of riders and given that riding is better for the environment (or our health in the case of bicycling) making us wear x actually causes harm.
3) To the questionable claim that wearing x does not make you safer. 

Forcing people to wear safety gear might turn them off from riding and the overall effect might be negative especially if we consider the benefits of not riding with a helmet from the natural selection perspective, but pretty much the only people who argue against the value of safety gear are the people who don't want to be made to wear it.  Understandable, but besides the point.

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 12:12:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
We had a similar discussion about bicycle helmets a little while ago, and the form of the argument goes something like: 

1) Start with the not unreasonable belief that I don't want the government to make me wear x (helmet, Hi-Viz, etc).
2) Plausibly enhance this claim with the claim that making people wear x will actually limit the number of riders and given that riding is better for the environment (or our health in the case of bicycling) making us wear x actually causes harm.
3) To the questionable claim that wearing x does not make you safer. 

Forcing people to wear safety gear might turn them off from riding and the overall effect might be negative especially if we consider the benefits of not riding with a helmet from the natural selection perspective, but pretty much the only people who argue against the value of safety gear are the people who don't want to be made to wear it.  Understandable, but besides the point.

I don't think that your penultimate sentence portrays the reality. I wear a cycle helmet when I think it's warranted (like on an MTB track). I don't if I'm pootling to the shops. I don't want someone who doesn't understand the issue to dictate a wholesale enforcement, when if they understood the situation properly they probably wouldn't.

Chris Boardman is someone worth listening to on this.

Offline Neox

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 cb500x
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 07:28:22 PM »
How how how... :001:
- helmet's stickers: only fines in Paris. In the rest of the country nobody look about that.
- Hi-vis jacket on the road-side when stopped: it's a obligation, but be careful, take an orange instead of a yellow :164:... I have one in the car, not with the bike...
- CE gloves: law inapplicable in fact, label illegible after a few months so control impossible.
- breathalyser: law never passed. So no obligation.
- spare bulb: we frequently ear that, but nobody see the law text... :084:
- spare eyeglasses: at a time obligation if you wear contact lenses. I don't know now.

If you don't drive like a dick with loud muffler and don't take a cop for a dumb, riding in my country is pretty quiet with cops. Otherwise the journey can be difficult and you can have all the possible fines :191: .

I've never been controlled on a motorcycle, even in other countries.
Only with the car, and only fines for speed controls...

Offline Steve T

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2020 CB500X
  • City / Town: Elgin
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2020, 08:06:07 PM »
At last, words from one who knows - Thank You Neox  :046:
British Born
Rasied in Wales
Living in Scotland
Still British 1st though

Offline Neox

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2020, 08:16:28 PM »
The only thing which can be painful is speed traps everywhere and eventualy agressive car drivers in some regions...

Offline UKJeeper

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2020, 10:45:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Neox [+]
The only thing which can be painful is speed traps everywhere and eventualy agressive car drivers in some regions...

That's just to make us Brits feel at home....  :016:

Offline cbf1000

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2020, 05:58:19 PM »
Thanks Neox - good to get the inside line on this. 

Offline Neox

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2020, 07:10:03 PM »
Last thing...
We have all the roundabouts of the entire world... :138:
 :008:

In 2014 i crashed my car in another, when the cops arrived nobody had the hi-vis jacket on the middle of the road, they said nothing...
But in poor visibility conditions it can save your life, i should put one under the seat's bike :084:, we never know what can arrive on the road.

Recent Topics