Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Newbie from Australia  (Read 429 times)

Offline Griffin

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
Newbie from Australia
« on: February 26, 2020, 01:00:57 AM »
Joined up as I'm planning on buying a used 2014 CB500X. Recently completed my QRide RE L and this will be my first bike. Did ride in my 20s but had an accident and decided I was not mature enough to be safe. Now at 55 I decided it is time for a mid life crises and I may be mature enough to be safe. QRide does help as does watching Youtube videos.
Now to the bike.
64K km on the clock but looks in good condition. No oil leaks started cold first time with no unusual noises. (not that I  know what to listen for :-)) Gear changes and clutch felt good. Tank was clean on the inside. Oil looked clean as did brake fluid.
Mainly used for commuting according to the owner. Tyres do confirm that with uneven wear. Tyres will need replacing to pass safety inspection.  Chain neglected but not excessive wear on the sprockets.
Has been dropped on the right. Some scuffs on handle bar end, exhaust and slighlty bent brake pedal. No scuffs on the engine. After market levers installed, so the lever may have required replacing. From the scratches on the exhaust it was a slow speed drop.
No service history or logbook.
Negotiated price is good.
Nice to meet you folks.

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: Newbie from Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 02:46:38 AM »
:400: Sounds like you did your homework. They are great bikes.

Offline woody

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: The Fens
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 06:11:31 AM »
 :400: im sure it'll make you a nice bike :306: sounds like you've inspected it well. Exhaust, bar end weight and pedals can be changed quite easily too :152:

Offline PIGLET

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • City / Town: DURHAM UK
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 04:11:17 PM »
 :400: :062: :062: :152: :821: :821: :821: :821: :306:

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 08:47:16 PM »
From the Qride quote, obviously in Qld. Where are you? I am in Bundaberg.
I bought a 2013 with 34000km on the clock.
This is what I had to replace. Both discs had been worn beyond tolerance. Don't by cheapies, get proper ones. The ones I bought have reports of cracking. New quality pads as well.
The steering head bearings and both wheel bearings needed replacement. Cheap to do yourself , expensive to get someone else to do it.  Again quality bearings NOT cheap ones.
Stock shockies are aweful at the best of times worn and sacked they are even worse . Decent rear shock will help your butt on Qld "roads".  I got an Ohlins but a few very good ones around. Front forks. I got Andreani,  but that's a choice based on my ability to mech them in. Not a beginner job. The fork stuff mentioned on this forum quite a bit (RallyRaid) seems to have a solid following and is much less difficult to put in.
Chain and both end sprockets were in need of changing.
My clutch plates were stuffed but suspect that was previous owner "use". Haven't seen many others complaining about it. DO NOT BY NON GENUINE clutch plates. I got both completely wrong sets and "correct" ones that didn't fit. There is a few advertised as CB500X that are not, including from the USA.

I don't usually play with motors much but the valves were in spec ( 64K km is another matter). New plugs and a cleanable air filter ( K&N).
Aftermarket MUCH lighter exhaust system. Not a power addition, but for the weight and clearance improvements. The stock muffler had collapsed inside and rattled.
Put a radiator protector on the exposed radiator for the flying stones our roads are notorious for.

Have fun. It's is a fantastic bike and with the fuel economy this bike has and the 17l tank , Queensland distances are a piece of cake. The seat is another matter.

Offline Griffin

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 10:39:35 PM »
Hi GregJet
Yes in QLD, Buderim.
The bike was used as a commuter and seems to have been well looked after. The sprockets and chain once cleaned were is way better condition than my initial look indicated. Changed tyres and the bike went through RWC without a hitch.
Stock shockers seem good to me. Took all the preload out the rear shock and the bike feels much better. Was harsher over the bumps on the first couple of rides. Front shock seems to be in good nick with good rebound and within recommended sag. I'm only 75kg so for a heavier rider it could be a lot worse. Suspension upgrades are tempting. For my current level of riding the stock suspension should be adequate.
Added frame sliders for the hopefully avoidable parking lot drop. Was going to say inevitable but thought I should be a bit more positive.
Changed the LED headlight bulb and added a gear indicator. Added to a thread about LED headlights in the electrical forum
Went out to Kenilworth yesterday came back over Obi Obi, nice ride with some mates giving a learner some time on the bike. Impressed with the bikes get up and go. Compared with the 400 I had 30 years ago a 500 today is a far better performer.
After 2 hours in the seat tyesterday I will admit that I did not find it the most comfortable seat. Too wide for real comfort.

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 02:41:15 AM »
Just up the road!
That ride is a nice one. The whole area behind Brisbane up to behind Gladstone has some great rides.
The harsh ride is because of the lack of rebound damping. The stock shock is bad, a 64K km one is likely to be much worse, especially on the lumpy surfaces of our roads. Wait til you put load on it. You are right though, 75ks weight will make the undersprung rear and front a little less problematic.
The motor is a glorious little lump. Just plain sweet slow or at highway speeds.
What tyres did you put on?

Offline Ceddy17

• CB500X Pro
  • Ed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 08:32:26 AM »
Welcome and greetings from Flanders..
Ed.
... don't concentrate on the finger ...  Stay Safe  ...

Offline RS2020

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Plymouth
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 01:27:51 PM »
 :400: Keep hearing good things about CBs  :305:

Online catstevecam

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS