Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Options for protecting shifter and brake pedal  (Read 515 times)

Offline Triskelion

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
Options for protecting shifter and brake pedal
« on: February 29, 2020, 10:26:33 PM »
With so many shapes and sizes of skidplates and engine bars availible i thought i'd just gently set my bike on it's side and see what touches the ground and see what needs protecting.
Lying on it's left the three points of contact are the front tyre, barkbuster and shifter. Surprisingly the tank and front fairings don't come near the ground.
Looks some low engine bars or a wide skid plate will protect the shifter. Any suggestions?
I haven't gotten around to looking at the right side yet, I suspect it's the same story, plus the exhaust.

Online Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
Re: Options for protecting shifter and brake pedal
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 11:58:26 PM »
I suspect that as it was put down gently that the gear lever would not necessarily bend like it would in a fall..would the casing  not touch if the gear lever bent under force?
In a gentle lay down of the bike the situation is different than an unintentional fall...dont ask me how I know 🥴

Offline Triskelion

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 01:15:10 AM »
I think you're probably right. The engine casing will need protecting as well. I see a lot of engine bars that will clearly do that but it's hard to tell if they will hit the ground before the shifter. I was thinking about when i dropped another bike, minor crash really, I scratched the engine casing and snapped off the brake pedal and right peg. The scratched engine casing wasn't my first concern when getting home again

Online Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 01:26:16 AM »
I fitted the GBRacing covers..simple fix.
I think they are some firm of polymer.well made and designed to take a bike sliding down a racetrack.
I do have some lower engine guards and an SW Motech sump guard to fit.

Online Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 01:32:19 AM »
I just checked...147.78 GBP for a three piece set.
GBRacing.eu they list for CBR500R so I did speak to them before purchasing.
I'm surprised they do t list for the X model as they are missing out on sales there.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 04:01:39 AM »
The stock brake pedal and gear shifter are actually pretty resilient, and being steel, if you do bend them, you can bend them back again using a tyre lever against the engine/frame or the end of a ring-spanner for example.

I've bent mine a number of times and always been able to bend them back again.

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Triskelion

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 10:20:07 PM »
Hi Jenny, does your rally raid skid plate hit a flat road before the shifter would? Or would the shifter still get a knock? I'm sure they're generally durable enough, only I've somehow snapped off a brake pedal before

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 10:45:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Triskelion [+]
Hi Jenny, does your rally raid skid plate hit a flat road before the shifter would? Or would the shifter still get a knock? I'm sure they're generally durable enough, only I've somehow snapped off a brake pedal before

Hi Triskelion - there is going to be a difference in dropping/laying the bike down, vs sliding it down the road as Oyley suggests, and I'm sure you appreciate...

The Rally-Raid engine guard has tubular wings that are primarily there to deflect any impact from the front ( to help protect the oil pump/clutch cover on the right, and the stator on the left had side), and I'd say [having just gone and looked at my bike] that if you were to lay the bike on it's side, the gear and brake pedal would be pretty well protected by those tubes of the engine guard at the front and the folded footrest behind, it would certainly lessen any impact damage I'm sure.

However, in my experience most brake and gear lever damage has occurred when you snag the lever on something (like a rock or stump) when you're riding along, rather than when falling over... it's also worth noting that during a lot of my long distance off-road riding, I tend to have my Coyote luggage bag across the rear of the seat too, which works like a boat fender if you do drop the bike, and helps to keep it from falling completely on it's side.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 01:50:31 AM »
Good stuff..
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline Byter

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 06:07:21 AM »
On my 2019 modell the Railly Raid Engine Guard does not protect the shifter and brake pedal. It will touch the ground.
I tried this out by laying the bike gently on its side.

I agree with Jenny that the engine guard will reduce damage to the shifter and brake pedal but it will not avoid any damage.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 06:08:49 AM by Byter »

Recent Topics