Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Poor illumination from '19 X Headlight?  (Read 592 times)

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
  • City / Town: Stringtown, TX
Poor illumination from '19 X Headlight?
« on: March 01, 2020, 02:02:16 PM »
I rode yesterday with about a dozen guys on all sorts of bikes.  We rode to meet with others from Texas at a small town for lunch.  Slightly more than fifty bikes showed up for lunch.  Among them was a new '19 X.  The owner saw me arrive and came over to quiz me about my headlight.  He was complaining that the LED on his '19 rendered the bike almost unsafe at night.  He said the headlight illuminated the the near field quite well, but not at all out further.  He has added Denali lights and some cheap Chinese lights to fill in. 

Y'all with '19's, are you experiencing this?  Maybe his is not adjusted correctly?  I've not read about anybody having this problem, but, since I have a '14, I don't read some of the threads on '19's...

I encouraged him to join the forum, I told him there is a wealth of information and knowledge here.  So look for a new guy from Cleburne, TX.

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: Poor illumination from '19 X Headlight?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 03:38:18 PM »
I found my 2018 LED light unsatisfactory, especially after enjoying the excellent lights on my 2007 VFR.  I added Denali lights, and now I am satisfied though I use them only at night.  During the day, I run with my high beams on. 

Offline timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 04:24:00 PM »
I recall making 600km trip entirely at night and it was a torture - narrow beam and this bluish light tires a lot.

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 07:40:17 PM »
Ive had my 2019 for nearly a year now and never been out on it at night! Ill have to give it a go sometime and see what I think.

Ewryly, riding with your high beams on either day or night must be illegal and is definitely inconsiderate and dangerous to other road users!

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X & CB1300
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 07:52:09 PM »
I haven't been out at night yet but looking at my headlight it seems to be very bright in the beam pattern but outside of that it's not very noticeable. When I filter on my CB1300 people see me coming and move over but they don't seem to notice me on the 500  :033:
The 1300 has a nice sound to it but I don't think it's just that

Chap on youtube called Oregon Motorcycle always has his main beam on.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 07:56:49 PM by Swanny »
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 08:07:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by japes1275 [+]
Ive had my 2019 for nearly a year now and never been out on it at night! Ill have to give it a go sometime and see what I think.

Ewryly, riding with your high beams on either day or night must be illegal and is definitely inconsiderate and dangerous to other road users!

I would never have ridden with my high in my VFR for the latter reason, but I did some checking with my highs on during the day and my highs are in no way blinding or dangerous to other riders, and my low beams are too inconspicuous. Maybe they need adjusting, but I also saw where the NHTSA quotes a MSF study recommending hbeams during the day. I don't know what the law says, but it seems to me the goal is to balance being visible with being inconsiderate or worse to other road users, and I am believe I have done that.

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 09:08:44 PM »
It's just not right. I'd like to be seen more in my car but I don't drive round dazzling people with high beam on. I've heard people mention doing this on here before and I couldn't believe it.

I'm fairly sure my 2019 lights on dip beam are set quite high from the factory so they would definitely dazzle on full beam. It's fine saying 'well I just want to be seen' but what if that dazzled driver crashes as a result? Possibly into you!

Anyway, you've reminded me I need to have a look at adjusting my dipped beam and you're unlikely to dazzle me from over in the US so my sermon is over!!

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 09:21:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by japes1275 [+]
It's just not right. I'd like to be seen more in my car but I don't drive round dazzling people with high beam on. I've heard people mention doing this on here before and I couldn't believe it.

I'm fairly sure my 2019 lights on dip beam are set quite high from the factory so they would definitely dazzle on full beam. It's fine saying 'well I just want to be seen' but what if that dazzled driver crashes as a result? Possibly into you!

Anyway, you've reminded me I need to have a look at adjusting my dipped beam and you're unlikely to dazzle me from over in the US so my sermon is over!!

You are a master of misquoting people!  Apparently it is legal in the states and even recommended by some people who have legitimate claims to being authorities, though I agree, it is not safe to blind people, which is why I would not ride with my highs on my VFR, but that is not the case for this bike.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 09:44:35 PM »
When I look at the LED lights on my bike from off the bike...they look like they should do the job but, in reality they dont,single bowl H4 on my Urban GS the a Philip's
X-treme vision was far better in every respect...
It's not just the light source that matters...the reflective area makes a difference.
I now plan to fit some additional lighting for sure

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X & CB1300
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 09:52:30 PM »
I had another look this evening. High beam lights the bottom bowl. To be honest I don't think it would be very good at dazzling people.
I'm going to test it by riding with main beam on during the day and see if I get flashed

I have LEDs mounted into the small screen on my 1300 and they are much brighter than anything on the 500

Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage