Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cheap hand-guards for 2019/20MY  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Falang

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap hand-guards for 2019/20MY
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2020, 02:39:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by Oyley [+]
I have in the past noticed that when bar end weights are removed to fit handguards that a sort of high frequency vibration can occur.. It is the vibrations through the bars that become the most tiresome,then uncomfortable and potentially damaging.
An increase in vibration at freeway speeds after the Honda weights have been removed has been reported in other threads. My 2019 CB500X left my right hand tingling at the end of a long day riding at 120 km/h and my left hand slightly numb, even with Grip Puppies. Hand-numbing handlebar vibration was not a problem on back roads, but sometimes I have to ride all day on the freeway to get to the back roads .... The left hand vibration was worse than the right hand vibration, probably because the right hand grip is only loosely attached to the handlebar so that it can rotate freely. I reduced the high-frequency vibration by: replacing the 2019 weights with 2014 weights (both sides), which are double the mass, by putting a few layers of heat-shrink tubing over the inner weight so that it became tightly wedged into the handlebar when inserted (left side), by wrapping a plastic shim (made from a milk bottle) between the end of the inner weight and the handlebar to make it completely snug (both sides), and by wrapping another plastic shim (made from a water pipe) between the outer weight and the tip of the handle grip to make it tighter, too (left side). The Grip Puppies surplus length keeps water out of the ends of the handlebar to prevent the inner weights from rusting and they are slightly wider than the weights so there is no friction. By doubling the weights and clamping them into the bars so that there is absolutely no slack, maximum energy is transferred from the bars to the weights and less energy is transferred into the hands. The tingling and numbing has gone. Hint: a long piece of threaded stock made it easier to manipulate the inner weight.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 03:06:33 AM by Falang »

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2020, 04:33:38 PM »
I am correct in thinking that you don't have handguards fitted ?

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2020, 07:47:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Falang [+]
Hands need to be protected from hours of high-frequency vibration (nerve damage can be permanent), periodic inclement weather (if you live in a cold country), and potential impact (carbon-fiber gloves help, too.) All the hand protectors on the market offer trade-offs among the three; the optimal design depends on the kind of riding you do.

Which of the three do Barkbusters compromise? They protect from rain/cold, the metal backbone protects from impacts and they come with their own weights.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2020, 07:54:06 PM »
You can buy extra tear drop bar end weights for barkbusters.I had them on a previous bike with the storm plastics.

Offline Moreorles

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • City / Town: Castle Hill
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2020, 11:46:25 PM »
At the risk of having missiles launched at me, I don't really understand the whole Barkbusters thing. I get feeling that many riders in this forum have a mindset that your life is on the line if you don't have them, yet surely the majority of CBX riders are 95 - 100% road only. And they are only used on Adventure bikes (mostly) so there are millions of road bike riders who have some how survived for years with them. I understand their value if you do actually ride trails, and I do use a set of Ebay cheapies in cold, because they make a difference, but is it more of "I ride an Adventure bike so I have to have Barkbusters to look the part" syndrome? Not meaning offend anybody btw. Maybe I'm just over reacting.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2020, 12:12:49 AM »
I have my reasons and here they are...
I have been hit (on a paved road) on my hand with a stone thrown up and it caused me immediate pain and the swelling was huge..I could do no work or riding for almost two weeks...that reason alone was enough.
Yes,most of my bikes,with maybe the exception of maybe ten,have been trail,Enduro,Adventure style bikes,I would say mayb 25 plus.
Another reason for Barkbuster style hand guards is is to keep the rain along with the chill factor from my hands,I don't recall there being Gortex and similar options available for motorcyclists..in fact Bike gloves were poor excuses for gloves in the main.
The first Gortex gloves I used on a bike were Reusch Ski gloves were the fingers were pre-formed,unheard of in bike gloves of the day.The problem is is that they had zero impact protection...hence the hand guards.
Another reason is how they,assuming they are the Barkbuster style with a backbone,is that they can save the clutch and brake levers if the bike is dropped..even at a standstill.
I have come back to a car poark with my bike on its side for no reason and the clutch lever was broken..I have also had my foot slip and the bike fell over and broken my clutch lever..and many a time off road.
I accept thet the 'image' may be the reason for some sporting hand guards...but not in my case.
Its simple for me....some rain protection,for sure some wind chill protection,gloves stay warmer and dryer and my levers have some protection.
I consider each and collectively that those reasons are more than good enough and I also accept that if one does not see those benefits or just does not like the look...that's also fine by me.I sure don't give a monkeys about image.

Offline Falang

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2020, 12:49:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Oyley [+]
I am correct in thinking that you don't have handguards fitted ?
Not on this bike, but on my previous CB500X. In Thailand I usually ride in the 30s, sometimes even the 40s (100s to Americans), so I want to have the wind flow on my (carbon-fiber) gloves and up my (mesh) sleeves. My previous 2013 (bought in 2017) came with hand guards. I rode it for two years and 30,000 km. They were a brand which left all the Honda weights in place so there was no impact on vibration. When I sold the bike, the next owner took them off. To each his own.
Over the years I have gone down half a dozen times, been hospitalized with broken bones and internal organ injury, have written off two big bikes, and killed a deer. In none of those impacts would hand guards have made any difference. In hundreds of thousands of miles I have never broken a clutch or brake lever except when the whole bike was wrecked.
So in my situation, vibration protection is important, impact protection is neutral, and wind protection is negative.
I found the 2019 high-frequency vibration worse than the 2013 vibration, so my focus was on minimizing it so my finger nerves werent damaged on the freeway. Now, if I still lived in Canada and needed wind protection, Id install hand guards which would allow me to continue with the oversize Honda weights, or, if they replaced the Honda weights, replaced them with weights inside the bars which are at least as massive. It is because I actually want the wind on my hands that I dont want hand guards. As for the tropical rain, my gloves get soaked instantly without hand guards and get soaked in ten minutes with hand guards. When it stops, my gloves dry quickly without hand guards and slowly with hand guards. Its a wash, no pun intended.

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X & CB1300
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2020, 01:07:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Moreorles [+]
At the risk of having missiles launched at me, I don't really understand the whole Barkbusters thing. I get feeling that many riders in this forum have a mindset that your life is on the line if you don't have them, yet surely the majority of CBX riders are 95 - 100% road only. And they are only used on Adventure bikes (mostly) so there are millions of road bike riders who have some how survived for years with them. I understand their value if you do actually ride trails, and I do use a set of Ebay cheapies in cold, because they make a difference, but is it more of "I ride an Adventure bike so I have to have Barkbusters to look the part" syndrome? Not meaning offend anybody btw. Maybe I'm just over reacting.

Fashion victims  :008:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2020, 02:49:58 AM »
I picked them because I wanted something to protect my levers and bars if I drop the bike.

Offline Falang

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 08:07:08 AM »
Honda CB500X: Bar end weight $21 (for previous model years they are $6) plus Brake lever $54 or Clutch lever $8, total $73 or $29 depending which side, average $51 per side to be protected.
BMW 1250GS: Bar end weight $49 plus Brake lever $109 or Clutch lever $109, total $158 either side to be protected.
For both bikes Barkbusters cost $137.
The Honda levers and handlebar tips can be repaired a few times for the cost of one pair of Barkbusters, the BMW once.
On top of cold wind protection, Barkbusters add value when the bike is ridden where repairs are difficult or parts are hard to get (e.g RTW) or the owner wants the bike to look like it is ridden where repairs are difficult or parts are hard to get. 
:002:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 08:09:42 AM by Falang »

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage