Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Moto GPS, Does any body know a good one?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
Re: Moto GPS, Does any body know a good one?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 09:30:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
WARNING: I've just looked at the ebay listing again, in one place it says Android 4 ( mine is ) but in another place it says WinCE 6,

I have now cleared this with the seller, this is a newer Android 6 satnav:

This seems to be the next generation to mine which is 2 or 3 years old.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XXX/254348025598
Brian.

Offline Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X & CB1300
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 10:16:04 AM »
A chap on another forum uses one of those cheap ebay ones, he reckons it's great  :028:

Looks like you could install Kodi on it as well  :008:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:17:43 AM by Swanny »
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
  • City / Town: West Bradford
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 10:29:42 AM »
Biggest problem I found when trying to use a tablet was the screen...tried an iPad and A Samsung tab and both were useless in bright light..the nit rating if most screens were too low...then there are the reflections on the screen, this can be aided a with a anti reflection film.
Then there is...water, we get a lot of that.
If it's in a tank bag map pocket the touch screen becomes less or not responsive, especially with gloves...and can also attract the moisture if it's cold.
A lot of car sat navs suffer from a mixture of the above issues also...most I would say.
There is a reason that dedicated bike sat navs cost more..too much more though.

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
  • City / Town: Stringtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 02:45:35 PM »
Sorry guys.  I was trying to nip this storm I started in the bud yesterday.  I had a lengthy update to my earlier post almost ready to post when a local natural gas crew cut our fiber optic phone cable and I was without internet the rest of the day.

Update:

Yesterday morning, I chatted with Garmin Support for the zumo series of motorcycle GPS.  As some of you suggested, I have determined that I have the wrong GPS unit.  I stated that in my first post.   However, the Montana was recommended to my son by one of the large motorcycle gear retailers; bad advise!  The Montana is a hiker's/hunter's GPS.   As such it lacks many of the features one would like when out riding a motorcycle.  I knew this when I bought it from my son, but since it cost more than any unit in the zumo series, I thought it would have enough features common to most all Garmin units to please me.  I don't need or want some of the moto features found in the zumo anyway (over-reliance on tech!). 

The Montana's screen is glove friendly, like the zumo.  The Montana is waterproof, like the zumo.  The Montana comes with lifetime map updates, just like the zumo.  It uses City Navigator and Topo maps, just like the zumo.  It connects to your computer through via a USB cable and can be managed using Basecamp, just like the zumo...  On the down side, the Montana's screen is much smaller than the smallest of the zumos.  It weighs more than any of the zumos, probably why the battery lasts twice as long as the zumos.

Unfortunately, one feature, present in every one of the zumo units, that is very important to me, is not present in the Montana.  That feature is the ability to edit routes on the unit that were created or modified in Basecamp.  Garmin Support cannot explain why this is true.  As a manufacturing engineer and a programmer, I bet the cost to remove that routine from the OS was more than the cost to maintain the code in the future.

Some of you have suggested that I am over planning my rides.  You obviously are not riding like I ride.  If I am out for a Sunday afternoon ride of 200-300 miles, or just riding from point A to point B, I very likely won't plan the ride in Basecamp.  I will have a general idea about where I want to go and how I want to get there and if I change my mind along the way, I am likely in familiar territory will only consult my GPS as a dynamic map for options along the way, or as a tracker to record my ride. 

However, most of my rides cover several thousand miles spread over several days hitting dozens of specific waypoints.  We average about 600-700 miles per day and maybe a dozen waypoints.  Such rides require careful advanced planning, the kind of planning for which Route Planner and Trip Planner in Basecamp are intended.  Also, such rides are very dynamic.  Getting ahead of a snow storm on the northern plains, or dodging tornadic super-cells on the central plains, or just simply falling behind schedule often dictate route changes.  I don't want to carry my 4 1/2 pound laptop in my top case so I can make such changes!

I think I was ridiculed for being "over-reliant" on technology.  I submit I have a file cabinet drawer full of old paper maps; I know how to use them, and occasionally still do.  But a GPS is so much more useful!  I also have a cow horse in my pasture;  I ride him about three hours each year to work my cows and for pleasure.  In my garage is a CB500X. I ride it for pleasure about 300 hours per year!  I love riding my horse, but my bike is way more fun! There is a group of people in Pennsylvania, the Amish, who do not use motorized vehicles of any kind, no cars, no trucks, no tractors, no motorcycles, no electricity.  They also think all of us are over-reliant on technology!

Alright, enough ranting.  Bottom line is I have the wrong GPS.  My apologies to Garmin; they are the best, even if I don't understand why they dropped the feature that is the most important to me from the Montana.  The zumo line does everything I want a GPS to do, and a lot I don't care about.  Would anyone like to buy a slightly used Montana 680t?

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 03:00:26 PM »
Those Amish people were pretty quick to catch on to using LED lamps in their carriages at filament lamps meant huge batteries and shirt burn times...I would not be surprised if they have slipped a few solar cells in the canopy.
Also...I was given a tour of so e huge motirhomes whilst in Vegas and the most plush and gadget full motor.e was made by the Amish people ...it was a salesman in some dodgy shorts and trainers with socks that told me though !

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 04:16:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oyley [+]
There is a reason that dedicated bike sat navs cost more..too much more though.

The 100 units I've posted are as near as makes no difference the same as the 300+ units. Most if the extra cost is brand rip off.

I use a CUBOT phone. Well under 100, it's a good phone, good camera. Or I could have paid Apple/Samsung ten times as much.

And the bottom line - I ride an X - I could have paid BMW 5 times the price.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 04:17:56 PM by hilldweller »
Brian.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 04:46:26 PM »
Hey...I'm not knocking what anyone buys...its a personal choice and for personal reasons.
I wont buy another iphone for many reasons even though I have had several in the past
I have tried a tablet but for many reasons I use a dedicated bike sat nav, not least of which are the following.
Dedicated mount
Reasonably sorted navigation software or installed
Lifetime map updates
Better weatherproofing
Daylight viewable screen
Touchscreen...with riding gloves
Simple basic operation
Reasonably rugged
Bluetooth
Audible, via above or speaker
Dedicated hardwired lead and not some weak firm of mini/ micro USB
A few hours replaceable battery use
Map options on a card
Play music from internal storage
Now if I could get that straight out of one box
from a single supplier ....on a slightly larger screen from a single supplier.. .I'm in, point me in the right direction
Dont be offended .its just my personal choice as yours is yours.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 04:48:51 PM »
You could also ride a brand new Chinese bike that will get you from A to B for around 2.5 k or so
 :745:

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2020, 08:15:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oyley [+]
You could also ride a brand new Chinese bike that will get you from A to B for around 2.5 k or so
 :745:

Very true and now we are hearing just how good some of them are. Let's face it, they do make the parts for many big names.
Brian.

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2020, 08:21:02 PM »
I still doubt that I will be changing my Honda for one anytime soon.
But I may enjoy a special fried rice and some curry sauce this Friday night. :046:

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage