Author Topic: Moto GPS, Does any body know a good one?  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Oyley

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500x 2019
Re: Moto GPS, Does any body know a good one?
Reply #40 on: March 25, 2020, 01:41:53 PM
We are definitely spoilt nowadays...my first Garmin did not even have maps as such it did show major roads...no turn by turn or voice.
It struggled to keep your track on a road and displayed you crossing open ground then you suddenly leapt back onto a road...not necessarily the road you were on...just a random nearby one.I cannot remember the model as I must have had maybe twenty plus over the years..all Garmin with the odd mistake of buying a few Tom Tom units.
I bought the first Garmin a a show in Blackpool on a weekend and after a day or so of being shown as just about anywhere I called Garmin UK and asked what was this map data they were using that did not have a motorway that had been completed almost twenty years earlier and yet displayed railroad tracks that had been removed some forty years earlier ?
To my surprise a lot of the data was from American military maps from after WW2...they offered a refund which I accepted.
Definitely spoilt nowadays, and happy to be.

Offline tvinnefossen

• CB500X Newbie
  • Bike: CB 500 X
Reply #41 on: May 02, 2020, 06:46:56 PM
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
I just went on Google Play, it's got some terrible reviews.

Im using calimoto for more than two years and Im exited. I drove through Sweden and Norway last year and found wonderful roads with Calimoto that I haven't discovered in 20 years by car and normal navigation systems.

Calimoto is not for getting the fastest way between two points, it is to find the most beautiful. And it works.I am a fan and highly recommend Calimoto.
Bike: 2017 CB500X
Communication: Cardo Packtalk bold
Navigation: calimoto.com with sp-connect.com

Online Aggie95

• CB500X Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
Reply #42 on: June 29, 2020, 03:46:49 PM
I should report back on my Satnav irritations...

I sold the Montana 680t to a guy who loves it.  It seems that there are a lot of adventure riders who love this model; many who ride off-road, and the Montana is great for that!  Also, the display is very crisp and can be seen very well in bright sunlight.  And there are other features that I liked as well.  However, I replaced it with a Zumo 595. 

I guess the way I use my satnav is about the most demanding application of both the device and the planning software.  On my pleasure rides, I don't really need a GPS unit, but a lot of my rides are "Tour of Honor" rides.  On these rides, I am navigating to several points of interest each day, usually on a tight schedule.  I travel many miles each day and make many stops at specific locations, many of which are off the road by several hundred feet.  Often times our schedule changes and we have to alter the planned route.  This kind of ride demands a lot of the satnav.  The combination of the Zumo 595 and BaseCamp works quite well for this kind of navigating and planning.

However, I can't believe Garmin sold the Zumo 595!  If I had purchased this unit new, I would certainly have returned it to Garmin demanding my money back!!  It has a screen that is almost impossible to see in any daylight!!  Riders have tried all sorts of remedies for this issue with little success.

Otherwise, it does a great job!  There a re a lot of features I could do without, but are nice, I guess.  It interfaces with my iPhone very well.  I don't need that, but I'm sure there are many people for which that is very useful.  It often has trouble pairing with my headset, but it eventually does.  It does Tire Pressure Monitoring.  However, there are way less expensive ways to accomplish TPM.  There also are features on the Montana that I think should also be on the Zumos; maybe next time?

It is very good at managing Trips and Routes.  I often have to edit my Routes on the fly for various reasons, and the 595 does this very well, even though the Route was created in BaseCamp.  This is the feature that is most important to me.  I spent a lot of time (weeks!) on the Zumo forum learning 'how to" and "best practices" and experimenting with the 595 and I can get the 595 to behave pretty much the way I need it to!

For now, I am sticking with the Zumo 595, but I am seriously considering swapping it for a Zumo XT.  So far, the reviews on it are great.  It has fewer features than the 595, but apparently has enough, and the screen is wonderful!

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

victorious-backstage