Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 130/80-17 Tires on Rally Raid Wheels  (Read 172 times)

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
130/80-17 Tires on Rally Raid Wheels
« on: March 23, 2020, 02:52:27 PM »
My quest for new tires continues. I'm finding that most (many anyway) of the tires that interest me do not come in 140/80-17 tubeless. Or in many cases don't come in that size at all.

Opinion time: Do you think that a 130/80-17 tubeless tire designed to fit a 2.50" to 3.50" wheel would work properly on a Rally Raid Level 2 Tubeless wheel?
If I can't get a 140/80-17, would I be better off running a 150/70-17 or a 130/80-17?

Thanks
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Re: 130/80-17 Tires on Rally Raid Wheels
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 04:23:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by ncroadtoad [+]
My quest for new tires continues. I'm finding that most (many anyway) of the tires that interest me do not come in 140/80-17 tubeless. Or in many cases don't come in that size at all.

Opinion time: Do you think that a 130/80-17 tubeless tire designed to fit a 2.50" to 3.50" wheel would work properly on a Rally Raid Level 2 Tubeless wheel?
If I can't get a 140/80-17, would I be better off running a 150/70-17 or a 130/80-17?

Thanks

Hi Toad' - it's really going to depend on what you plan to do with the bike - a 130 is a bit skinny for a bike the size and weight of a CB500X, especially if you carry a lot of luggage and/or a passenger - they really are designed for lighter weight dual sport bikes in that regard (although in the old days of course a 130 was considered wide for a road bike of course...)

As long as the tyre manufacturer says that particular profile will fit well on a 3.5" rim (keep in mind that the tyre carcass size doesn't necessarily correlate with the overall width of the tread (for example I've seen some gnarly 120 size off-road tyres that look as fat as a 130 or 140 with other tread patterns) there shouldn't be a fitment issue.

Personally I'd probably not run a 130 on the CB, if you want a more narrow tyre I've found the 140 width TKC80 is the 'perfect' width in that regard, although equally I ran the 150 size for a long time on my CB too, and that works very well in combination with their 110/80x19 size front.

So in a nutshell, it's up to you - if a particular tread pattern is only available in 130 width (keep in mind a lot of tyres that size are not tubeless though, being designed for 650cc class dual sports like the KLR and DR, which don't have tubeless rims) then go for that, and see how you go... just be aware its going to be under more stress if you load the back of the bike up.

Ultimately, there are a lot more 150 size tyres available in a range of treads, and mostly tubeless these days too, so you are probably better off looking there even though they tend to cost more than typical 130 size tyres.

Or just fit a 140/80x17 TKC80 and forgetaboutit ;o)

Hope that helps/clarifies things...

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 07:03:48 PM »
Thanks JMo, I figured you would have a good recommendation on this subject. I'll heed your advice and pass on the 130's as I was suspicious of the weight and fitment limits.

I know you love those TKC80's but I really want a tire that will run more than 4k - especially at the price they want for them. My dilemma is that while 80%+ of my riding is on pavement, I do like to take it off-pavement and want to do more. I guess I'll have to choose & pretty soon. I can run knobbies and replace them every 3 months or run 80/20's and deal with the off-pavement limitations - exacerbated by my poor skills  :181:

Cheers

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 07:49:25 PM »
Thanks JMo, I figured you would have a good recommendation on this subject. I'll heed your advice and pass on the 130's as I was suspicious of the weight and fitment limits.

I know you love those TKC80's but I really want a tire that will run more than 4k - especially at the price they want for them. My dilemma is that while 80%+ of my riding is on pavement, I do like to take it off-pavement and want to do more. I guess I'll have to choose & pretty soon. I can run knobbies and replace them every 3 months or run 80/20's and deal with the off-pavement limitations - exacerbated by my poor skills  :181:

Cheers

Hi Toad - YMMV of course, but generally speaking I get at least 5000 miles from a rear TKC80 on the CB500X (that is mixed terrain, typical 'adventure' riding), and in a couple of instances it was closer to 7000 before I consider it is totally shot for off-road use...

*obviously it tends to lose it's ultimate off-road edge before 5000 miles, but it's still perfectly capable in dry conditions for example, and certainly fine for many more miles on-road riding.

In one instance (see my Northern eXposure ride report here), I went on to ride another 2000 miles without any more appreciable wear!

photo. yeah, that is no good for anything now ;o)

Obviously it's going to depend on what your priorities are, but ultimately all tyres are going to wear out at some point during a big trip. Personally speaking I like the balance on on-road/off-road performance the Continental's offer on this bike, and change them as required.

Hope that helps!

Jenny x

ps. As for a 130 size - don't worry, that will safely fit on the RR 3.5" rim, it's just I feel the size/volume of that tyre s probably not as appropriate for the CB as a 140 or 150 would be.
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 08:29:14 PM »
Thanks Jenny, I may give them a try. Worst case, I'll use something else next time.
Cheers

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 08:40:44 PM »
Thanks Jenny, I may give them a try. Worst case, I'll use something else next time.
Cheers

Yes, the various brands all seem to have their pros and cons, but the only real criticism of the TKC80s is the relatively softer compound (compared to some other brands/models) means they can wear more quickly than some others - but that is the price you pay for good grip both on and off road I guess.

Michelin Anakee Wilds are good, but do not last appreciably longer and are more noisy at higher speeds - Bridgestone have the new(ish) AX41s that might be worth a go too? Oh yes, Metzer have the Karoo 3 as well (I don't have experience of these myself) but to be honest they don't seem to offer anything more than the Conti's, and don't have the same grip characteristics according to some reports I've read.

Then you've got the more budget orientated Mitas, Shinko and Heidenau options - they are popular on a range of bikes (including the CB) but again each have their own characteristics (typically with off-road grip, particularly in the wet) which may or may not suit your style of riding?

I think you've summed it up best - give [any one of] them a go, and if they don't work for you personally, replace them with something else when the time comes - and any feedback all adds to the universal database of knowledge which is the internet*

*I'm saying this with my tongue firmly in my cheek of course ;o)

Whatever you choose, I just hope you get the chance to put some miles on them this year!

Jenny x

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage