Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: DIY Carbon GPS Bar Mount  (Read 340 times)

Offline DJ

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Seattle
DIY Carbon GPS Bar Mount
« on: March 23, 2020, 07:35:35 PM »
So I went for a ride a few days ago with my phone in the clear top window of my tank bag.  Boy what a dangerous thing to have to look down at.  No bueno. Set out to find a mount, everything seemed too expensive or too big and bulky.  Needs to be clean.  Was going to use half inch aluminum tubing but found a piece of carbon fiber from another hobby. Length was perfect.  Used a piece of threaded rod from lowes in 10mm, a couple grommets and bolts. Voila! Is perfect. I've ordered a bicycle ram mount, the one that zip ties on and is removable.  I'll post pics once its here.

Carbon rod.

Solid, light and clean!  Seems all the other brackets offered stick up and toward you more. Want it down and out of the way as much as possible.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
Re: DIY Carbon GPS Bar Mount
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 08:55:38 PM »
Smart !

Brian.

Online Swanny

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X & CB1300
  • City / Town: Nr Bath
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 10:45:49 PM »
I like  :062:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 11:13:00 PM »
very neat solution  :152:

Offline DJ

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 12:11:43 AM »

The mount, simple just a few pieces. I like that it doesn't have adjustment points.

Mounted on the bar. It came with a rubber piece to keep it from moving around. This will stay on the bike.

The Ram mount phone holder seems to have a good grip.  You push and twist and it locks in place on the mount.  I love this because I can take it off easily, hate leaving things on my bike.  Too many sticky fingers out there.  Throw it in my tank bag and it goest with me.  Plus when it goes back on it's in the exact same position. No messing with knobs thightening and adjusting. 

An old Samsung Note 4. I use a smaller iphone 6 that fits a little better. Note 4 is a large phone.

View when riding. The guage cluster is well below, not obstructed by the phone. Looks better with the smaller phone also.

Pretty stoked about it. Way better than the tank bag option not to mention safer. I dont like bar mounts with all the joints either.  This cost me 40 bucks all in. Hopefully the weather gets better here in Seattle so I can get out and try it!

Offline Twempie

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:43:16 PM »
Nice solution, and it doesnt look like a KLR hack.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage