Author Topic: newbie - still doing research - have a question on used bike  (Read 624 times)

Offline psherman

• CB500X Newbie
  • Topic Author
So I posted in the newbie section already. basically, I'm a pre-newbie rider. (no license yet researching bikes)

I saw a 1st gen CB500x (2013) with 26k. Is that a lot of miles for a MC and what are problems I should be looking out for this year. I know 1st year models generally have some bugs. Also, what's a fair price for the SOCAL area.

Online Swanny

• CB500X Master
  • Bike: CB500X & CB1300
Re: newbie - still doing research - have a question on used bike
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 07:41:02 PM
26,000 miles isn't bad these days. There's one here with 50,000 on the clock and another on FB with 70,000.
 I had a CBF600. The couriers use them and they do up to 200,000 miles
Usually the higher the mileage the lower the price but it doesn't mean it's a bad bike. My CB1300 had 15,000 on it when I bought it, about 34,000 now but it's fine.  :152:
Life... It's Just a Ride  :305:

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 07:45:49 PM
I have a 2014X with 51 kmiles on it now. It is my first street bike after dirt bike ownership 40 or so years ago. There are many others on the forum with more miles. I have had no major failures and only one irksome minor failure. That would be:
    cracked right middle cowl plastic - replace for 55 USD. This was apparently a factory defect that was corrected with an upgraded part. The color and fit of the new middle cowl are spot on.

The reasonable minor failures would be:
    broken fuel gauge wire - re-soldered
    gritty steering head bearing - cleaned and re-packed
    blown fork seals - replaced, but not an easy job and might get a special tool for next time.

Otherwise, routine maintenance is something you must embrace, whether paying for labor or doing it yourself:
    lube chain often and adjust periodically
    tires every 7.500 and 15 kmiles for rear and front respectively
    oil every 3 to 8 kmiles depending on your choice of oil - lots of debate on that
    valves clearances every 16 kmiles - plugs can be done then also
    chain and sprockets every 20 to 25 kmiles - depends on your lube effectiveness, road conditions, etc.
    head lamp every 15 kmiles or so

My total ownership cost after 5 years is nearing 0.25 USD/mile after buying new at full retail. When considered to be paired with my commuting car, it has paid for itself and has been a complete joy to own. You'll like the 2013 if you buy into the above minor burdens of ownership. It is a good bike for a capable beginner, but you might do better if you have spent time on a dirt bike for a year or so to get your muscle memory down. Street riding is unforgiving of mistakes.

Offline Oldsolum

• CB500X Member
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 10:25:54 PM
I have a 2014 CB500x, purchased used in 2016 when it had 1,400 miles. It now has 59,000 miles. The only unexpected maintenance issues were a seized frame bolt that I broke off; it required some drilling and re-tapping to correct (this is not uncommon with these bikes; just check the frame bolts episodically); and an electrical gremlin that kept frying headlight bulbs until I replaced the OEM headlight wiring harness (a fluke unique to my bike, I think). Besides the frame bolt and the headlight wiring harness, all non-consumable parts on the bike are factory after 59,000 miles. 

My bike does not consume oil (oil and filter changed every 6,000 miles). The valves were in need of adjustment at 16,000 miles, but were in spec at 32,000 and 48,000. Right fork seal leaked at 31,000 miles and was replaced. Rear wheel bearings got a bit cruddy at 40,000 miles and were replaced. Chains and sprockets replaced every 20,000-25,000 miles.

This is my first motorcycle. I bought it thinking I'd want to move up to something bigger in a few years, but thus far, I haven't gotten that urge. I intend to keep the X until it no longer runs. I've done multiple cross-country trips in addition to commuting 66 miles round-trip 4 days per week. The best thing about it:  my 4 day-per-week commute costs me exactly 4 gallons of gas per week!

SOCAL has enough of a motorcycle critical mass for you to find a reputable shop to give the bike a once-over if you're serious about buying. Ask for maintenance records. If the maintenance was done at a shop, the shop should have those records even if the owner didn't keep them.

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 01:37:06 AM
I forgot the rear wheel bearing failure; one of three bearings failed. Add that to reasonable failure column. It might have been due to spray washing the bike which I don't do anymore.

Cross country trips? Would love to have that in the bike history. Sounds great.

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X
Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 12:50:13 PM
*Originally Posted by psherman [+]
I saw a 1st gen CB500x (2013)

Nothing as far as mileage.

But how has it been used and maintained ?
Brian.

Offline ewryly

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 01:47:05 PM
One nice thing about buying in SoCal is you don't have to worry about the effects of salt and harsh Winters.

Online motorboy

• CB500X God
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 03:24:05 PM
This goes for anyone looking for a used bike--due to the unfortunate circumstances we are all living in right now people will need cash unneeded thing go first bikes- cars- boats-campers luxury items-I give it two more weeks and you will see alot more bikes for sale-in the USA it's just starting now and it will be a buyers market-I saw this in the 2008 world crash and it's about to happen again

It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike