Author Topic: ~4 mm of clearance between L2 rear shock and swing arm?  (Read 333 times)

Offline slackerdeluxe

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
... is this normal?

Hi all:

I finished swapping out my L1 suspension with an L2 kit and noticed that there is very little space between the swing arm and shock spring. So little that some of the spring coating got chewed up during installation. I didn't notice this as an issue with the L1 shock (though I didn't really look). Is it OK for it to be that close? I'm wondering if I did something during the install.

2013 CB500X
Rally Raid Level 2; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard; Barkbuster hand guards.; Evotech radiator guard.; TKC80s., Shock Soxs, CMX clutch case cover

Online JMo

• CB500X God
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Re: ~4 mm of clearance between L2 rear shock and swing arm?
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 03:43:34 PM
Hi Slacker - it is close, particularly when you install the shock (ie. when the suspension is fully unloaded and at maximum extension), but once the bike is back on it's wheels there is plenty of clearance - well, enough for me to put my shock sock on and off as required.

It doesn't appear you've done anything wrong - I would check the orientation of your linkage plates though (the replacement ones supplied with the L2 suspension kit) - they are marked L and R, with the letters horizontal to the ground when the bike is on it's wheels (see below):

Hope that helps!

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline slackerdeluxe

• CB500X Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
Re: ~4 mm of clearance between L2 rear shock and swing arm?
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 07:27:05 PM
The only thing I thought I might have messed up would have been installing the dog bone incorrectly. I put it curve down, like in your photo and assumed that the L and R plates made sense that they were "read right". Seems I managed to get all that correct after all.

Thanks for the picture and additional confirmation.

Thanks again.

2013 CB500X
Rally Raid Level 2; Hepco & Becker Tank Guard; Barkbuster hand guards.; Evotech radiator guard.; TKC80s., Shock Soxs, CMX clutch case cover

victorious-backstage