Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Steering Leak  (Read 2334 times)

Offline stretch05

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
Steering Leak
« on: April 22, 2014, 03:34:45 AM »
Hey! I just picked up a 2013 CB500x. As I was looking it over, I noticed some fluid in the steering right above the radiator. This is my first motorcycle so I don't know anything in the way of part names, but I'm handy with a wrench. I tried googling around a bit for a diagram of parts and names with no success, if anybody has one, I'd be very interested. Anyways, it's a seal that looks a bit loose and fluid is seeping. It looks like coolant, it's nice and bright green.

Offline phiggins

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X White
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Re: Steering Leak
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 04:33:56 AM »
Hi Stretch05,
I wouldn't mess around, contact your Honda dealer and get them to look over under warranty.

Offline hyperpete

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 06:30:38 AM »
Yes, agree, warranty issue.  Bright green either coolant or rather large bug splatter.
Read handbook how to check coolant level and top up, could just be a loose filler cap.
:002:

Offline K.Ray

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: Knoxville, TN
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 02:17:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by stretch05 [+]
Hey! I just picked up a 2013 CB500x. As I was looking it over, I noticed some fluid in the steering right above the radiator. This is my first motorcycle so I don't know anything in the way of part names, but I'm handy with a wrench. I tried googling around a bit for a diagram of parts and names with no success, if anybody has one, I'd be very interested. Anyways, it's a seal that looks a bit loose and fluid is seeping. It looks like coolant, it's nice and bright green.

This is normal. It's the grease they pack into the stem's bearings. No reason to be alarmed. Leave it there. If it goes away you'll want to take it in to have it re-packed. Cheers!

Note: I'm not a Honda tech so take with a grain of salt.

Offline stretch05

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 02:59:44 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies. I was a bit premature in posting. I had another chance to go out and look at it. I stuck my finger in there and it was grease, not fluid. I may still go to the Honda dealer to ask if it's normal. Anybody else's CB showing like that?

Offline K.Ray

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: Knoxville, TN
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 03:37:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by stretch05 [+]
Thanks for the quick replies. I was a bit premature in posting. I had another chance to go out and look at it. I stuck my finger in there and it was grease, not fluid. I may still go to the Honda dealer to ask if it's normal. Anybody else's CB showing like that?

Just wanted to note mine has the exact same color grease, if not a little more then yours does. I noticed it yesterday when I changed my oil.

Offline ethaneil

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 11:03:40 AM »
 Is it power steering fluid????  :132:

Offline stretch05

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 03:48:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by K.Ray [+]
Just wanted to note mine has the exact same color grease, if not a little more then yours does. I noticed it yesterday when I changed my oil.

What are your thoughts? Is that an issue?

Recent Topics